Question about Studio 60s binding posts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

It's actually a duel question. I have the Studio 60s and Pioneer Elite 49tx receiver. I was wondering if both of them can accept 9mm spades.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If you can do the math conversion, I can tell you that my 40's (assuming the same binding posts are used across the whole studio line) can accept 5/16" spades, but CANNOT accept 1/4". How that relates to MM is anyone's guess. How many MM in an inch? Like I said...if you can do the conversion. Hope that helps.[​IMG]

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

i don't know anything about the binding posts but 5/16" is very close to 8mm and 1/4" is 6.35mm

4. Howard_S

Ya I came up with the same measurements as Chriss. So obviously 6.35mm spades will be too small. The choice is between 7mm and 9mm since what you're saying is that your speakers will accept 8mm spades then where shall I go? Higher? Lower?

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm saying the speakers can accept an 8MM spade, but cannot accept anything lower so terminate your cables with AT LEAST an 8MM spade.

6. Howard_S

Oh okay. You sure? I'll take your word for it but if you're wrong I'll hunt you down. [​IMG]
    Now I just have to figure out whether the 49tx can accept 9mm spades.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Howard, I value my life and If I've made a mistake, I'm sorry. However, I have a bi-wire run of DH Labs T-14 at home and I bought it used. It has 1/4" spades on it and they don't fit the binding posts on the Dimes. I had to take a pair of pliers and stretch out the spacing on the spades to make them fit. I talked to Jeff Dahman at www.value-audio.com and he said that the Paradigms will accept a 5/16" spade and all I had to do was stretch them out a bit and they would fit. Seeing he makes custom cables for all sorts of speakers and was able to quote me the exact measurements of the Paradigm binding posts without having to look it up, I think his advice is pretty reputable. Hope it works for ya.
    By the way, the 10 Ft center channel cable I ordered from Jeff for my Studio CC is coming spaded with 5/16" spades, so I too hope it fits without my homemade modifications. I'm sure it will.

8. Howard_S

Do you think 9mm will fit then?

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I think anything greater than 8MM will fit, so 9MM should be fine.