What's new

Question about storing DVDs horitzontally (1 Viewer)

I found this question on another board (no responses yet) and I was wondering the same thing, so I'm posting it here:

Most of my DVD cases (and thus DVDs) are stored horizontally, but I heard that this method of storage isn't as safe and may lead to DVD rot. Any truth to that? Is vertical really the best way to go or does it not matter?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
dvd rot huh? sounds like a chemical deterioration. doubtful gravity has any effect on that. so I doubt that vertical or horizontal has an effect. probably has to do with room temperature and humidity more so than anything else, but Im no expert. just putting in my 2 cents.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Gravity CAN cause discs to warp slightly, over time. (I wouldn't call that "rot".) Vertical storage is the way to go.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Bobby,

The term "DVD rot" is a holdover from the days of LaserDisc, and is largely overblown (IMHO), though it does exist in isolated incidents (completely different phenomenon, however). Horizontal storage of LaserDiscs would cause warpage over time due to their large size, and hence, mass. Under normal temperatures, there is insufficient mass for a DVD to warp due to the earth's gravitational pull (assuming it is in it's case, isolated from its neighbors). The same goes for CDs. I have always stored my DVD/CD library this way, and have never had a problem (of course, the LDs are vertical). More of my take on this issue can be found here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197510

Hope this helps!

Peace... Derek

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Just like CDs, DVDs are supposed to be stored vertically - besides it being more convenient, it also prevents the dye from destroying your precious titles.

Go Vertical! :emoji_thumbsup:

S

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Derek,

that was meant in regard to some old-school CD dyes, that actually destroyed the real CD content - vertically, this apparently did not happen. Anyway, that was all before my time... .

So, vertical for convenience (pulling them out sideways just seems strange) and for them not warping - that's two darn good reasons right there, hehe. ;)

S

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
If you leave all your DVDs near an oven then maybe you will get CNN to write an alarmist story about you!

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Sebastian,

I had not heard that about the old-school CD dye, do you have any more information about this (you have my curiosity peaked)?. In any case, thanx for the info. I still have yet to see any deterioration on any of my CDs, many of which date back to the beginning of the format. The same goes for my DVDs, though their basic construction is different from CDs. Where horizontal storage of LaserDiscs is grounds for incarceration (and I will take the poor LDs in and care for them... LD foster home? :D), IMHO vertical or horizontal storage of CDs or DVDs does not seem to matter (again, all other things being equal). Just my $0.02.

Zachary,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Derek,

Thanks a lot for that link. It was very helpful and informative. I am confused about something you said elsewhere in this thread though:

Does that mean that I shouldn't horizontally stack my DVD cases one on top of the other? That's what I've been doing. Is that harmful?

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Bobby,

When you stack DVD cases (especially snappers), the added weight to the cases toward the bottom can put stress on the shape of the case, and hence the DVD held inside. This is especially so if the DVDs are stacked unevenly. While this is unlikely to cause warpage (again, under normal temperatures), it can put stress on the interface between layers, possibly resulting in "rot", resulting from either layer delamination (more often caused by repeated flexing of the disc when removing it from the hub) or oxidation. My single DVDs (alphas, amarays) are stored in a wall rack that has "slots" for each individual DVD, so the weight of each is not additive. If you choose not to get this kind of rack (mine are CaseLogic - 30 disc - about $15 each), Sebastian and Rob are correct in that vertical storage is definately the safest way to go!

Good Luck!

Peace... Derek

P.S. Bobby, I just re-read my earlier reply, and I should have been more clear: when I refer to this kind of storage as "boneheaded" I am speaking of those who do not care whether this is OK. I did not mean to include you in this group (you did not know, and you ASKED... :emoji_thumbsup: ).

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
This is an interesting discussion as I am one who would normally stack my dvds horizontally and after reading this thread I noticed my solaris dvd had a sort of caved in rip in it for some reason so now Im storing my dvds vertically. I checked all my dvds and they seem to be ok but Im not taking any chances so now its all vertical for me. The solaris dvd cover rip in the back is fine with me as I know someone from a local video store who can switch the covers for me.

-Mike

Derek,

Heh, not to worry, I didn't take offense at all - I knew what you meant. :)

I need to rearrange my collection pronto to get everything vertically stacked. Figuring out how to work with limited shelf space (the reason I had most of my stuff horizontally stacked to begin with) is gonna be a tough chore. Any advice?

I just thought of something: I'm going to need to rearrange my video game collection too. :angry: I'm not sure where GameCube's mini-discs fit into this equation, but many of my PS2 games are DVD-based and I'm pretty sure the same is true for all of my Xbox games too. *Sigh*

StephenA

Screenwriter
I stored a lot of my DVDs horizontally for a long time because the space I had them in wouldn't have accomodated them vertically, if that makes any sense. Now most of my DVDs are stored vertically, except some on top of the new case I have. I hope I didn't do any damage, though I was kind of anal about keeping them aligned with each other and other stuff to keep them stored as good as possible.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Bobby,

I am in kinda the same boat as you; namely limited shelf space (im my case, wall space). The only suggestion I can offer is to use slim cases w/ scanned/custom cover art. For example, I use amaray double cases for two disc sets, replacing the full double cases many studios use. Of course, this is not going to help much unless you have a lot of these titles. Many of my season sets are in ultra slim cases. Other than that, I may have to knock a few walls down and build a bigger room....:)

Peace... Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks