Question about sticky stuff on LD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 28, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I bought the Criterion Collection Ghostbusters CAV set from someone on eBay. When I received it I started checking over the discs, around the edges of both there was some sticky stuff. This stuff didn't completely encircle the edges, but probably around 50% of the edges were covered. Please understand I am not talking about the edges of the playing surfaces, but the actual edges of the disc platters. Is this stuff the glue that holds the two disc halves together that is leaking or seeping out? Is this going to lead to laser rot? I don't have the player hooked up right now so I can't check for existing rot, but is laser rot visible just by looking at the disc, and if so, what does it look like? These discs do not appear to look any different from any of the other laserdiscs I've bought.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

This happened to me once also - I cleaned the stuff off and the laserdisc was fine for years after that.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

It sounds like glue and some of it can be found on a lot of disc edges and occasionally on the disc surfaces. It's not easy to clean though I've had pretty good luck with an alcohol based CD cleaning solution from Radio Shack (Cat. 42-126). If you rub too hard, you could possible scratch a disc. There are some other solutions that work OK, but this one works fine. The regular disc cleaner/polishes (Groovy, Novus 1) I do fine for fingerprints, but not so much for the glue.

The answer seems to be the pressing plant used too much glue initially rather than it being leakage because I've had brand new discs do the same back when LD were really new. I've never know those discs to have problems.

5. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I've had plenty of discs with this sticky stuff around the edges. As far as I can remember, the only discs of mine that have rotted have not had sticky stuff around the edges. So maybe you can consider that sticky stuff a sign that the disc will not rot, eh? [​IMG]
    I'm a master of bad logic!

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I've had a few lasers with that gummy stuff on the edge and it came off with my fingers. Never had it on the surface, though.