Question about Special Ops, CIA,, etc...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Feb 27, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was watching the previews for the new CBS show "The Unit". And it got me wondering if their are groups that really do this stuff or is it just Hollywood? I mean I have heard of ops teams that do recon for bombing missions..But, I am talking about bigger things.. You see shows like the Unit or movies where some agent stops a bomb going off in a city. And I always wondered (and even hoped) their are groups or agents that are competent and doing the job.

And I am sure if they did do something...we would all never know.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was waiting for that line. [​IMG]

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
  5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There are agents very, very competent at their job who put their life on the line often.

And, knowing one personally, they are very dull people and talk about absolutely freaking nothing when you do cross paths.

But, still, good people. As far out and radical as the shows on TV? I kind of doubt it; too much Hollywood. But hard workers who bust their butt? Absolutely.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Watch or read Black Hawk Down. Eric Bana's character was one of the "D-Boys" (Delta Force).. They are just such a unit. Notice the non-military issue clothes, helmets and weapons, not to mention the fact that no one referred to them as anything but the "D-Boys". Aside from the two who were killed (while earning the Congressional Medal of Honor), no real names were mentioned and Eric Bana's character was a composite. That's because they do not exist.

7. Steve.Carr

Steve.Carr Auditioning

We work with Delta and the Spec Ops (Green Berets, CIA, and other gov. agencies) community over here as well. They do a lot of stuff covertly and that's the point...so no one knows whats going on. IMO, that's why I can't stand the "freedom of information act." There are a lot of things that go on that no one except the players and planners need to know. If the mission is successful then great...a majority of the time it is, but it ususally takes a lot of planning in the meantime. I've recieved training from ex Delta and Navy Seals, and these guys are exacting and lethal without question.

They are a bunch of interesting, but non-chalant guys. Very even tempered, but I always think about some of the stuff they've seen and done...because I know what I've seen and done, and it doesn't compare!![​IMG]

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Please Steve—you make it impossible to respond to your unnecessary and prejudicial statement without violating forum rules.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Agreed with Lew. Please make no such references here on out. Thanks.

10. Steve.Carr

Steve.Carr Auditioning

Sorry about the comment above guys...didn't mean to come across as inflammatory[​IMG] . All I meant by bringing that up was the fact that some operations in the Spec Ops world stay secret for a reason.

Todd, to answer directly to your questions about that community...Hollywood does blow it way out of proportion. The "spooks" as i like to call them, do their jobs and they do them well!!

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

That's what my sister tells me as well....and I will leave it at that.

12. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

We met and were 'neighbors' with a gentlemen that we figured was some level of "special agent". He was a great guy, always willing to lend a hand, etc. Invite him over for dinner and he'd bring a nice bottle of wine.

But if you asked him what he did for a living, he'd basically just say "I work for the government" or some other forgetable thing (which was fairly normal as we were up in the VA/MD area). The parts that gave us the clues though were that he was VERY fit for his age (he was an older guy 40's-50's range) but not in a 'muscle-head' way, he was supremely confident in himself but not in a cocky way, and he spoke about 11 languages. Plus he'd basically disappear for weeks at a time, when he'd get back you'd ask him "Where have you been?" and all you get back was "Over-seas".

If you've read any of Tom Clancy's novel's he claims that he modeled the John Clark character after real CIA people.

Andrew

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The military special forces are somewhat linearly focused into a specific combat/campaign requirement. BHD did a good job showing the difference between a highly trained soldier (the Rangers), and a HIGHLY trained soldier (Delta) [​IMG]

When many of these people leave the military, they are recruited by other agencies (like the Cleavage Inspection Agency), and continue to train and learn and gain experience. In short, the military pipeline starts the training, but some men (and women) go way beyond even that once they leave the military.

But Hollywood loves the idea of super-soldiers, even if they don't quite understand what that means. A bullet will kill a badass Delta operator as fast as a bus driver, and professional athletes are STILL in better shape than the highly trained military elite. Most special forces are just smarter and make quicker decisions than the average person. And they are encouraged to do so.

I've only known a few tangentially, but they seemed pleasant, competent, and smart. Mostly competent and smart. Not Captain America. But not Gomer Pyle either.

14. Steve.Carr

Steve.Carr Auditioning

Sounds like some "Splinter Cell" stuff there! [​IMG]Most "spooks" that I have met are the same way...quiet, down to earth and confident in their abilities. Great guys to know overall, great guys to work with too!

On a shooting course I went to in New Mexico, we had a Delta operator as one of the instructors...it was fascinating to watch him handle a weapon. I learned a ton of great shootings skill that week. We ended up going through 20k rds a piece...that's a lot of brass to be putting through a weapon. Good times!![​IMG]

15. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Not to defend Hollywood, but even if they knew what it meant it would make for boring TV/movies. Spend 2 months planning a mission, spend another month or two training for it, spend a few days with transport, then you do the mission which won't last very long and if everything goes right there was no big firefight against incredible odds, etc.

Andrew

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

One of my brother's old high school buddies supposedly went into an intelligence career. How he described him sounded like others here have said: Perfectly laidback regarding everything, same old goofy guy, but extremely tight-lipped about his job.

I remember reading an interview with Ian Fleming in which he said that he decided to call his new secret agent character James Bond because it was such a bland, inconspicuous name, just what a spy would need. "Who would ever remember someone with a name like that?" [​IMG]

17. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

Whatever, I'm just glad their there.

18. andrew markworthy

I got accepted for a British government organisation not a million miles from the activities we're talking about here. And I'm 6ft 9". I have a feeling that I was probably destined for a backroom data analysis sort of career, unless they wanted someone to blend inconspicuously into a basketball team. Eventually, I turned down the job offer - I just didn't fancy the thought that for the rest of my days I would be checked up on. E.g. every time you went out with a new girl you were meant to report this to your boss so she could be security checked. I didn't fancy the humiliation of reporting a very low number of girls. [​IMG]

To answer the original question - yes, and more often than you might suppose.