Question about speakers placement for my Paradigm Studio 40!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by michael_tran, Aug 16, 2002.

1. michael_tran

michael_tran Agent

Hello guys,
    We have an entertainment build in from the house forced me to put the Studio 40 up about 5 feet tall and the listening area is about 12 feet away, I saw somewhere someone suggest that if I have to put it up that high I need to turn the speaker upside down? is it true? need some suggestions here, thanks

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

If at all possible I would tilt the speaker down a little bit with the speaker upright. Now is that 5ft to the tweeter or 5ft to the bottom of the speaker. You can turn it upside down, but Its hard to say whether it will sound good. Laying it on its side is another option if you can. Try all of them and experiment for best results.

3. michael_tran

michael_tran Agent

Shawn,
    It is 5ft to the bottom of the speaker, so what you saying is you still prefer to have speaker on their 'standard' upright?

4. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

It's really a judgement call. I say try them tilted down toward the floor, maybe a couple of inches. That should make the sound more direct. You can try to flip them but they will then still over your head sitting down. I also would try them on there side and add a slight angle. Either way I think the only way to improve the sound is to get them pointed a bit more towards the listener. Firing straight 5-7ft above your head will dull the high end and kill imaging as you basically relying on room reflections for the treble.

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Ummm that would be VERY difficult to flip the Studio 40's they are rounded on the top and will not sit properly. 5 feet to the bottom is a little high, I have mine pretty high, about 42" to the bottom I believe. They sound fine like this in my room.