Question about speakers.*IMPORTANT*

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan J, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of upgrading my speakers. Bear with me that when I decide to upgrade, I suddenly have a million questions to ask....So I seek counsel from those that are wiser than myself. [​IMG]

Anyways, I currently have Phase Tech for the Mains (PC 6.5's) and I have to PC 60's for the surrounds. But, I have run into a couple of problems...The woofers in both of the towers are completely shot, and one of the woofers in the smaller surrounds is blown as well. On top of that, part of the crossover in the right tower is messed up....it is not feeding any signal to the midrange, only to the woofer and tweeter. The mid is not blown, because I already checked that. ( The previous owner didn't take very good care of them). SO, right the moment, my HT is kind of a mess, I am using the one surround as a center channel, and using two older Kenwood speakers for the surrounds. ( Keep in mind that I am missing the woofers in my mains at this point). Now, I can go, have the one woofer reconed ($45) have the other two woofers replaced ($65 for the mid and about $80 or so for the 8" woofer)and then see about getting that crossover fixed.

Or, I can just go buy new speakers.

If I buy new ones, what should I get? I am looking for the cheapest way out ( who isn't) But I do not want to have to upgrade next year when I am sick of the way the new speakers sound. Overall, I was pretty happy with the sound of the Phase Techs.....especially the tweeter. The tweeter really makes or breaks a speaker for me, and I like the way these sound. As for going out and buying NEW Phase Techs, I really don't want to do that. If I am going to buy new speakers, I think I want to stick with either B&W, or Paradigm. These are my two favorites out of all the brands of speakers I have ever auditioned, and if I buy something other than one of these brands, I think I would just be kicking myself down the road, thinking........"man....if I had just saved up that extra $300...." Know what I mean?

I have heard many great things about the Studio 20's, although, I think I would prefer a tower speaker for the mains....but I am not totally against bookshelf speakers. If I can get better performance out of a bookshelf than a tower for cheaper,the same price, or slightly more, I would be willing to do it. Towers would save me from having to buy stands though.

So has anyone been in my shoes? You like the same 2 brands but you're not sure what to get? What did you choose? Why did you choose that brand? And how much did you pay?

Also, I have not had that much experience with all the different lines of Paradigm, so any suggestions are welcome.

I will use the speakers for mostly HT, but I do use them on occasion for music. I have a Yamaha receiver, and a DIY Tempest.......Oh, and I like my movies and music loud. [​IMG]

Sorry for the long post, but I just don't know what to do here.

Thanks for all the help,
    Nate

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I wouldn't even bother replacing the cones on the old speakers. Just put that money towards a new set. The Paradigms will be a HUGE step up, and you will love them. The monitor line is also very good and will save you a bit of money. Go into a store that has them both and give them a listen.

3. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra

If you want build quality and a very nice tweeter, you should audition Energy Connoisseur.
    In my opinion, in their price range there's nothing like it.
    Their strongest asset is there tweeter. But it's all good.[​IMG]

Here are some review from soundstage.
    The flagship C-9:
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c9.htm

The smallest floorstander C-5:
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip...yc5/index.html

The C-3 Bookshelf:
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm

Thanks and happy shopping

Frédérick Richard

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Electronics are the one time men are allowed to shop like women do. Enjoy it. [​IMG]

And definitely check out the Paradigms. They're exceptional speakers for the money.

5. Nathan J

Well.....the C-3 is $500, and the others you listed are even more than that. For $500, I can have Brand new Paradigm Studio 20's.... would you say that the C-3's are better than the 20's? What pair would you take?

Thanks

6. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra

7. Nathan J

Most prices on the 20's I see are more than $500, but I have one connection where I could get a pair for $500.

Anyone know of any canadian dealers near the border? Like closer to Niagara Falls? I have never auditioned Energy speakers before.

Whats your opinion on a pair of B&W 601 S3? I can get a pair of them for $280. Is it worth the extra money for the Paradigms or the Energy's?

Nate

8. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra

Sadly I have never audition the B&W 601 S3. But I heard good and bad thing's about them mostly good. Like I said you should audition the speaker and see what fit on your budget and your hear and see for yourself if Energy and paradigm are worth the extra money. For Energy authorize dealer go to their site.
    http://www.energy-speakers.com

On their site you can type your postal code to find authorize dealer in your area.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

9. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

If you get a subwoofer, it brings you an additional set of options for the other speakers, since you don't have to pay for bass capability that you won't need.

10. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra

He already got a sub the DIY Tempest.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

11. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator