question about speakers for 6.1 setup...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanQ, Oct 20, 2002.

1. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

I have a question that no one at a store can answer. Im gonna buy a receiver that is a 6.1. A yammie rx-v1300 or a htr-5590. Not sure which one since technically there pretty much the same. Here is my question. I have mirage frx-7's in the front a frx-c in the center and frx-r's in the rear. So If I want to get a new center rear channel speaker what do I buy???? Is it like a real center channel speaker like the one in the front or is it just another rear speaker to add in the middle like the frx-r's???? Stupid people at hi fi buys couldnt answer that. Im thinking its another surrond speaker and not a true center channel for the rear. I hope it is cuz hanging another frx-c would be to freakin heavy. And anyone know where I can buy mirage over the interent. And if I can buy just one speaker? A pair or frx-r's still go for $375 at hifi buys.

2. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here know or are u guys as clueless as hifi buys??

3. ben_fowler

ben_fowler Extra

It's a surround speaker, in essence. My recommendation is to get a speaker similar to, or the same as, your current surrounds.

Good luck!

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you can get a single speaker exactly like your surrounds, that's what i would first reccomend. If not, i would go ahead and get another pair exactly like your surrounds and use only one for now, and have the other for if/when you decide to step up into 7.1.

You could also get the center channel speaker that is matched to your surrounds and it will work just fine. Matching is more about the tweeter than anything else, so there aren't really any major pitfalls of using a properly matched center speaker as your back surround.

Hope this helps.

5. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for answering my question! I guess I will have to buy a pair. I wish I could get just a single speaker.

6. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

You can get just a single speaker,most prefer two in the rear however. But going with one gives you the most choices. Some have used the same center speaker they have in front for the rear with great results. Others have used the same speaker they used for front left and right for center rear. Most use the same speaker as there other surrounds.

I my self have two in rear that match my side surrounds. You will have to listen to them to really decide.