What's new

Question about speakers (center channel) (1 Viewer)

larry h.

Auditioning
I just recently upgraded my receiver to the HTR-5590. Now, I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers. I bought a package of JBL Simply Cinema Series SCS-135 speakers a few years ago. I'm thinking about replacing it one piece at a time since I'm on an extreme budget. I bought a sony sub already right after I bought the package since the sub that came with it really was bad. Now, I'm thinking about replacing the center channel. I know my satellites are 8 ohms. I was considering the Yamaha NS-C444 center which seems much better than my JBL and cheap (which is my price range, cheap!). My concern is, I noticed it is 6 ohms, will I have a problem mixing it with my 8 ohms satellites? Do I need to stick to same ohms alll the way around? I am also open to other suggestions but I really don't have more than $200 to spend. One other question, my new system is a 6.1 which before I only had a 5.1. I'm thinking about buying an extra speaker for the rear center. Is the rear center just another satellite or is it like a regular center channel?
Thanls!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about mixing 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers. A lower impedance speaker will draw more current from the amp, but most AVRs can handle a 6 ohm load without much problem, especially if the speaker will be set to small.

Any differences in efficiency will be correctec when you balance and calibrate the system with test tones and the SPL meter.

If you can, try to keep the same brand and type of tweeter in the surround channels. It's called timbre matching and it can make panning between speakers seem more seamless and all the speakers will have the same sonic character.

The rear channel speaker(s) in a 6.1 or 7.1 rig are usually a small bookshelf or center channel type - either will do fine. Whatever fits into your decor or on your shelf better.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a cerwin vega v-12 tower speaker for my center speaker, I LVOE IT , i tried buying center speakers and they were all terrible , i couldnt ehar people when they were whispering, my vega has really good tweeter and bass all together , i got it from audioallies.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks