Question about speaker wire gauge????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

ok i have a question now if speaker wire gauge is important and i decided to run oh say one gauge wire from reciver to speaker and replaced all the wireing inside(i know its not possible one gauge is quite large but in thery) the speaker would be getting the best signal and better sound quality and performance? why? or why not? im really curious on this im thinking of rewireing my mains and redoing my center. ... or is there only a sertin range of gain and once you go from say 16 gauge to say 10 gauge if you go beyond that is there just no change??? hmm intresting i cant wait to see what you all have to say [​IMG]

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

The law of diminishing returns applies here. If you were to do the same test with ten *miles* of one-guage between receiver and speakers, you would be more likely to discern a difference.
    There are charts floating around which recommend AWG by length of run based upon all sorts of technical concepts. The short answer: 12AWG will work for almost any lengths possible in a residential installation.
    IMHO, instead of going with cable thicker than 12AWG, you will get better results by reducing interference sources in your cabling (keeping it away from power cables, not making massive coils of wire, etc.).
    If you are wondering if "cable brand makes a difference", please do a search--it's been discussed to death! [​IMG]

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Materials used are just as important as guage size. Silver vs Bronze, amount of shielding etc.

-rob