Question about speaker size settings without a subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Laughter, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Hey all, hooked up my JBL NSP1 with my Onkyo 595 this past weekend -- OMG, I had no idea what I was missing. Popped in Gladiator, nearly cried, watched the ending with that awesome score and vocal (I'm a sucker for Zimmer, so sue me!) and did cry. Popped in Cirque du Soleil: Quidam, pure bliss.
    Anyway, I don't have a sub yet and may not have one until December depends on if I feel I can part with $200 for the Sony sub right now or not, if not I'll wait and ask for it for a present or something. I was just wondering if I have my speakers set correctly. I basically have everything set to large. Is this right or should only the fronts and surrounds be large and the center be set to small? Thanks guys.

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I like the NSP1s from JBL. I picked them based on price for my fathers system and couldn't believe how they sounded. Theyre not as good as my Paradigms but I was surprised by them.
    I set this up for my father with them ALL as small and he has the JBL sub. Being that you are missing the sub I would place your L/R fronts as LARGE. Make sure they are not strained though. What is powering them?
    ------------------
    Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Although I'm not sure that all receivers behaive the same, be sure the setting for "subwoofer" is "off" or "none". Once this is done, it makes no difference if speakers are "large" or "small".

4. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Brian, I do have the subwoofer set to "off." When you set the subwoofer to "off" you still have options for the front center and surround sizes, but if I remember correctly if you set the subwoofer to "on" you no longer are able to choose the front main speaker size. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Okay, you have no sub... so you have to reroute the bass somewhere. Here's the deal:
    If you set the mains to large and center and surrounds to small, you're rerouting the bass from those other speakers to your mains. But since your mains are essentially the same as your center and surrounds in that JBL set, all that will do is drive the hell out of your mains (especially since LFE will be rerouted to the mains as well).
    So I would think for now you're probably better off setting them all to large and letting them each handle their own bass. Once you get a subwoofer, however, set them all to small and let the sub handle the bass for everything. You're gonna' get great sound out of the 595 with that setup, and the Sony sub will be a nice complement to the JBL's.

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

With no sub, set them all to "Large", you've got nothing to lose, really. Since the surrounds are identical to the mains, I don't think you'll gain anything making them "small".I have the same setup, and it doesn't sound as bad as one might think given the specs. The center inparticular has a good deal of punch to it.
    Of course, the improvement wrought by the Sony (I've seen it for as low as $130) sub will be far in excess of its modest price.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are in bliss now but don't have a sub yet? I can't wait to hear your reports once you get your sub and replay Gladiator after that. If you have no sub then by all means, set everything to large. If you set to small, then the receiver will send the low frequency information to the sub. If you have no sub then that info is lost then. Once you get your sub, you may want to change to a small setting. It really depends on the speakers you have now. If you have large tower speakers capable of playing low bass of their own, you may want to set to large, otherwise, set everything to small once you get your sub.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

9. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

Wow. If another HTF'er lives near Sean, they ought to bring their sub over with them just to give him a taste.
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."