question about speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Garcia, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

is there a significant change in sound quality if your fronts and rear speakers are not pointing towards your ears? cause i really didn't have enough money to get swivel brackets so i bought the ones that are fixed in one direction. i have a fairly big satellite speakers and got a medium sized room.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    Welcome to the the Forum! I have my main speakers toed-in slightly and I think you'll find most (but not all) of the folks around here do also. The side and rear surrounds should not be aimed toward the listener, doing so may cause the surround efect to become somewhat localized. As you have probably figured out there are infinite setup options, and just as many opinions about which is best so you're going to have to do a lot of reading and experiment a little. Be sure to calibrate with an SPL meter to get the best possible sound from your system.

3. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

I'm new to this board and am no expert, but have done some thorough searching...

From what I can tell, to toe or not to toe in the speakers is a personal preference depending on how you like the way they sound... its kinda like making spaghetti. How many of you add extra spices to the sauce? Not because you have to, but because you feel like you have to?

Like speakers, you dont NEED to toe them in, but some people feel like they HAVE TO do something so they have a part in making them better?

That's my opinion.

BTW, I got some feed back from M&K about their speaker placement recommendations. The front Monopoles are gonna be recessed into my walls, they said that was okay and to locate them at ear level. The rear mono's should be high up about 7-8ft. The side Tripoles cant be flush mount in the walls, but they too should be about 7-8ft so that they're not only above the height of a seated listener, but anyone standing too.

M.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Maybe try toeing them in until the tweeters are pointing at your ears. Then toe them in or out to see how the soundstage and imaging change. [​IMG]

6. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

i cannot toe in my speakers because they are mounted to the wall. The bracket is fixed so i cannot swivel it up, down, or side to side. I really wanted to know if there is a big difference in sound if you leave the speakers facing forward istead of angled towards to the listener. Also, I have learned that the large distance between the two fronts is good for stereo imaging, making it better for music reproduction. However, for movie playback it is recommended that the fronts should be as close to the tv as possible. Does that really matter? i use my system for both movies and music. I plan to distance the two fronts a little more farther apart so that it could be well suited for music and movies.

7. Tommy_C

Tommy_C Stunt Coordinator

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The rears should not be pointed directly at you. You should be fine.