What's new

Question about speaker level with SPL meter (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Ok,

I'm going to balance the level of my speakers, Boston VRM series on my Denon 2802. I friend of mine lent me his Radio Shack SPL meter. The receiver has test tones and an on-screen display to do this. My question is what do I set the volume to? Does it matter? How do I set the speakers to reference level? My friend told me to set the SPL meter dial to 80, and raise or lower the speaker level until the meter's needle is at zero. Is this correct? What about the volume on the receiver?

Vlad

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Set the SPL meter to C weighting, slow response, and 70 on the dial. Adjust the master volume while the Left or right channel is playing until the SPL meter reads 75db (+5 on the SPL meter. You always want to be on the high side of the SPL meter for the best results) Once the Left and Right channels are at 75db reference, Adjust the center, rears, and sub individually until the read 75db as well. Then all the speakers will be set equally, or reference.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
When you say "master volume", do you mean the volume level for each speaker (which I can raise or lower from the setup menu) and not the volume knob on the receiver?

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
Set your left main speaker to 0, then adjust the volume knob to 75 on the meter. Adjust the rest of the speakers from this point. Put the meter where you sit at head height, pointing toward the front and up at a 45 degree angle from horizontal. Do not hold the meter close to your body, you will reflect sound, I usually duck down behind my sweet spot and stick my head up just far enough to read the meter. Use the same meter placement for all your speakers. Don't forget to set your speaker distance. Hope this is of some help.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Master volume is the big volume knob on the reciever. You have to have a place to start from. The Center and rears should match your fronts once you get them to reference level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks