Question about speaker efficiency.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Justin Ward, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I'm doing a physics paper on some aspects of sound. I'm sure I heard somewhere that most speakers only use like 1%(or something else really low)of energy as sound energy. I haven't been able to track down that spec again. I realize that it will vary by the type of speaker, but how much energy in general is wasted in a speaker?

2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Justin,

Indeed 1% is in the vecinity, and in fact most home speakers are closer to 0.5%. Especially since you are talking physics and real science, be sure to remember and maintain the distinction between efficiency and sensitivity. Efficiency is a percentage. Always. It is the percentage of the input power which is transformed to work, or in this case, acoustic power. Sensitivity is a quantification of output produced for a given input stimulus(signal/power/voltage). Typically specifications are given for 1W into the *nominal* load, measured at 1m from the loudspeaker.

We can relate efficiency to a 1W sensitivity for a theoretical point source operating in 1/2 space (ie on the ground) where 1% is about 92dB @ 1W/1m, and 0.25% is about 86dB @ 1W/1m. Some horn loaded system do in fact reach MUCH higher efficiency, where an optimally loaded horn can reach 25-50% efficiency as seen in some of our professional bass horns. As you can imagine, there is the additional benefit in this application where 1/4 to 1/2 of the power delivered by the amplifier is not heating up the woofer, but instead is transformed to acoustic output. As such, a driver only needs to "handle" the waste power, ie 50-75%.

Here is a good website to get some information form a very reliable source:
    True Audio Tech Topics

More directly, this spreadsheet will help with the conversion I referred to above:
    SPL to % Efficiency Spreadsheet

Another great link:
    HyperPhysics
    and more specifically:
    HyperPhysics - Sound and Hearing

That should keep your head spinning for a while... [​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It can also be estimated from the Thiele-Small parameters from the following equation.

n0 = 9.64 * 10-10 * (Fs3 * Vas/Qes)

Fs is the free air resonance in Hertz
    Vas is the equivalent volume of compliance in leters
    Qes is the Q of the driver at resonance (electrical losses only)

The result will give you efficiency i.e the ratio of power in to power out, as a percentage.

4. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Thanks alot guys. Its amazing how much energy is wasted. This should definetley help me considerably.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Also for what it's worth the sensitivity can be calculated from n0. So depending upon whether we're looking at radiating that sound into a sphere or 1/2 sphere we have respectively...

sensitivity = 109 + 10*log(n0)

sensitivity = 112 + 10*log(n0)

Of course this implies that if you know only the sensitivity, you can back calculate the efficiency, right?

Why don't you crank some #'s and see what you get?