Question about Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_A, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Carlos_A

Carlos_A Auditioning

I wanna say this is the most helpful HT forum I've come across....

Now my question is.. I have always noticed when I go best buy or Circuit city by the Monster Cables. They Have these little plugs(not sure what there called) for the Monsters Speaker cables. They say that it improves sound performance then bare wire..... Now are these plugs worth getting?

Thanx!!

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Carlos,
    I think you are looking at BANANA PLUGS which twist onto the bare ends (1/2inch) of speaker wires for a very convenient, straight-in plug-in to receiver binding posts as well as speaker binding posts.
    It's all in the convenience especially if we are moving gear around. There is no sonic difference from bare wire connections.
    There's a whole bunch of bananas described at www.partsewxpress.com besides those sold by RadioShack.
    ...and welcome to the Forum...

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Probably not. But neither is the Monster Cable. Unless your equipment is extreme high end and/or your speaker runs are very long, standard 14 or 12 gauge wire is adequate. The benefit of banana plugs or pins is if you frequently connect and disconnect your speakers.

This is just my opinion. I have been around this stuff for a long time. I have upgraded to high end speaker cable and personally could not detect any difference. I recently installed banana plugs and could not tell the difference. There are many others that will testify they have scene (or heard) the light after such upgrades. And many in between.

If you have the time, money and are so inclined, try it yourself. If you can't hear the difference, return it. If you hear a difference and it's for the better and the difference is great enough to justify the expense, then you made a good investment.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have banana plugs for convenience only. Many audiophiles will only use "high end" speaker cables and bare connections. It has been claimed that an extra contact (from speaker wire to connector to speaker terminal) may degrade the sound. I can't hear a difference.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

(and the help keeps coming [​IMG] )
    Audiophiles have a theory that "bare-wire is best" and I agree with this to a point. It's NOT because of sound, but because the fewer breaks in the wire means fewer loose connections over many months.
    Look at the back of your receiver. All those binding posts - it's really hard to trim & connect 12 ga speaker wire and fit them in the tiny side-holes. You must be careful to NEVER leave stray strands of copper pokeing out - this can cause a short and damage your electronics.
    You have the same neatness issue behind your speakers - one strand of copper poking out causes a short.
    I strongly recommend you go to Radio Shack and pick up 1 set of their xxx-308 Dual Banana plugs. Take them home and see if they fit your receiver & speakers. (The spacing between the red/black binding posts is NOT standardized.)
    If the dual plugs fit, go back and buy enough to outfit your system. They run about $6 each.
    The dual bananas stick out about 3" which is a lot for behind your receiver. Radio Shack also sells single bananas (xxx-306) which un-screw and then clamp down on the speaker wire. This also solves the "non-standard" spaceing issue.
    Hope this helps.

6. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

Audible performance improvement is highly debatable. But banana plug and spade lugs are very convenient in connecting, moving equipment and maintenance. I would always suggest to terminate the speaker cables with either one of these terminals.

7. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

8. Carlos_A

Carlos_A Auditioning

I have a 14 gauge Original Monster Cable running to all 5 speakers. My rear speakers wire run about 30 feet away from the recevier. I also tend to move speakers alot and sometimes I see a few strands out

.....So I guess I'll try the Dual Bananna Plugs from Radio Shack.

"I guess it's better to be safe then sorry"

Thank you all your help!!