Question about speaker cable lengths

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Ok even if I heard no difference, would you guys recommend having the same lengths for the front soundstage, or just the left and right fronts?

Also, if you could, would you have all 5 speaker cable lengths the same, or would you just have the front three the same, and the back two the same.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

whatever you feel like will be fine. equal lengths are not much of an issue, just leave a little extra to allow for some flexibility in positioning or repositioning.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Most people believe it's a very bad thing to leave coils of speaker wire behind your equipment. So it's actually DAMAGING to your sound to try and cut all 3 speaker wires the same length if it means lots of slack.
    (Think of a long coil of wire as being an antenna. And you have lots of AC power cords nearby that generate a very dirty 60 hz signal. It's just looking for a nice piece of wire to couple with. [​IMG] )
    It's a bit of a myth that the speaker wires should all be the same length. For video signals on a 3-wire component cable set that go up to 4 Mhz, a few inches difference is a lot. But audio would take about 80 feet of difference to make a 1% phase shift.

4. Allen Longcor

OH. Shoot hehehe. What if there were coils of wire, but it was not behind electric equipment or anything. Would that be ok or should I cut the wire down?

5. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

By coiling wire you are creating an inductor, your best bet is to trim it to length with about a foot or 2 of slack. Dont coil large amounts of speaker wire.

6. Allen Longcor

Alright, thanks guys. I'll trim down all that stuff today.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jeff, your statment

8. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the insight chu, I was previously unaware that the opposing flows would cancel the inductance created by the coil.

I beleive it was here that I heard the previous information.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I believe coiling speaker cable may cause it to pick up RF - or so I've heard. Some people reported hearing radio stations on their speakers, which went away when they uncoiled their cables. No idea how true that is, or how close they lived to a radio transmitter, etc.
    Oops... Chu already mentioned RFI... hmm, hang on. Those two are completely contradictory to each other, right? A coil can't both act as an inductor and pick up RFI [​IMG]

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hey Saurav, you've heard about the person who has a coffee maker and swears its communicating with the spirit world?

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

13. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

OK, I have to hand it to you for that one [​IMG]