What's new

Question about sourround sound speakers (1 Viewer)

Steve_Den

Auditioning
Hi everyone.I am new to the home theater scene. I haven't yet bought sourround sound speakers, but am looking into it. My receiver shows me to connect the speakers directly to the receiver using standard speaker wire, with the wire just stripped and screwed under the terminals. It also shows the subwoofer connected to the receiver with an rca cable. The speakers I have seen online show them connected directly to the subwoofer and then to the receiver using rca cables. I was hoping someone could tell me if there are two different kinds of speaker setups or if there is just on kind of setup and I connect them the way they are shown online.

Thanks,
Steve

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Powered subwoofers (with built in power amp and power cord) are fed using a low level signal such as an amp's "line out" or a specific subwoofer output, via RCA cable.

Nonpowered subwoofers are fed from the speaker terminals of your amp, using speaker cable.

Subwoofers often have output terminals so the regular speakers are daisy chained from the sub, using speaker cable. This is actually very common, since it is best if only one speaker (or two speakers of the same make and model) is connected to any one set of speaker terminals on the amp.

FOr powered subs it is your choice whether to connect the other speakers directly to the amp or daisy chain to the sub except, if only one RCA cable (left or right) feeds the sub, then daisy chaining both left and right speakers to the sub will not give good results.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks