Question about Sony Wega sets.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kidd, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

My old Zenith 25" set is finally biting the dust. I've almost convinced my wife to let me get a new 27" set. (No jokes about being whipped. I know I am.) My question is this: I've been looking at the 27" Sony Wega sets and they look really nice. Are they worth the money? I mean we're talking another $150 for a flat screen and the ability to do a 16:9 squeeze. Do they make that much of a difference? I'm not going to be able to afford another tv for a loooonnnggg time, so I want to get the best set possible within my price range. ($600 or less) Help me convince my boss...uh wife that the Wega is worth it. Thanks!

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I've got a 27" Sony Wega in my bedroom. It works great! It's got a pictures that I think is worth the extra money.

My wife and I were looking for an el-cheapo 27" T.V. for the bedroom. We found a pretty cheap Toshiba that looked decent in the store, but after setting it up at home, my WIFE hated the picture! So, I had to box it back up and haul my ass back to Ultimate Electronics where we bought the Sony that we should have bought in the first place.

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Now that I have a TV with the 16x9 squeeze I'd never want one without it again. I'm not sure, you may be able to get a cheaper one with that feature, but I am very happy with my Wega.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I could be wrong, but aren't WEGAs the only smaller tv's with the 16:9 squeeze? I'm not sure how it works. I'm assuming that every NTSC television has 525 lines of resolution. If the WEGA squeezes the picture information down to fit on a 4:3 NTSC screen, aren't some lines of resolution still lost? Forgive my ignorance.

5. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the answer to your 16:9 squeeze questions, but I can say that I went to crazyeddie.com , printed up their ad for the Wega that I wanted, and took it to my local Sears where their price matching policy enabled me to save $160. Perhaps the tactic above will save you some money.

-Steve

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a KV32FV26 in the living room and a 27" Panasonic Tau in the bedroom. The Tau has a MUCH better picture and color than my WEGA and comparable 27" WEGAs I've seen. Both are calibrated using VE. DVDs don't look as clean on the Tau, but the color is warm and rich. The main thing that sold me on the WEGA for the main room is the ability to have multiple configurations for picture settings. This ONE feature is worth it all, as TV viewing vs DVD (via component) are two different things.

The "squeeze" feature removes every other line of resolution that would have been non information. This is ONLY for 16X9 enhanced movies. This basically makes the picture very tight and clean. YES this feature is also worth it, if you watch a lot of DVDs.

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Can someone tell me what a "16:9 squeeze" is? What benefits do you get from having a TV that can do this, exactly?

9. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

James- The 16:9 squeeze trick does exactly as it implies. It "squeezes" the lines of the TV closer together so that all possible lines of resolution are being used in the usable picture area. The black bars are just dead screen space. However, only DVDs that have been "Enhanced for 16:9 television sets" will benefit from this feature.
    I myself have a WEGA KV-32FV27 that I purchased for $1167.97 total from Sears last July, along with the free Sony WEGA stand. Price-matched with XtremeShopper.com. The price-matching saved me $500.00! [​IMG]

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Now that the 16:9 squeeze has been explained, I think I'll spring for the WEGA. I do watch a lot of DVDs on my system, so I think the WEGA is the way to go. Talk about having to jump through hoops to figure out what a feature does! Sony and other websites love to list all the lovely features, but rarely give an explanation as to what they do. I hate that! Thanks for all the input.

11. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Yes, thanks for the info, Brian.

12. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to TV Forum.