Question about Sonotube

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I went to the local Home Depot to see if they had any Sonotube. What I found was Quikrete Quik-Tube. This tube I believe was around 1/8" thick or maybe just a bit more. Is Quikrete Quik-Tube the same thickness as Sonotube? The largest diameter they had was 12" and I think I need 14" to fit a Shiva into (unless it can be done with a 12" diameter tube). It just didn't look that thick as compared to my SVS subs.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Shawn,

That is the tubing that most use. However, keep in mind that you'll probably have to go to a local cement supplier / concrete seller to purchase a properly-sized tube. The tubes of greater diameter (e.g. 16") can be purchased from such companies. Also, don't quote me on this, but I suspect that the thickness of the tubing itself would be thicker for the bigger tubes.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Real sonotube is thicker than those cheap Quikrete tubes. Although as the sonotube sizes increase in diameter, the wall thickness stays the same

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

OK, cool and thanks. I did find a place online that sells 14" x 12' Sonotube for $35.00 but I just don't need 12' of it and although I didn't check out their shipping I'm sure 12' of sonotube has to be shipped by special means (freight or something) which would be costly. I just can't see it fitting in the back of my local UPS guys truck. [​IMG]

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There are places in Denver and Ft Collins that sell it by the foot. Checkout Barton supply.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Thomas,

Thanks for correcting my statement regarding where I mentioned that bigger concrete tubing was also thicker.

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

ThomasW,

Thanks for the tip! I will go check them out soon.