Question about Snow White 5.1 audio mix.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Claes Ljunghorn, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

I own the Swedish DVD edition of Snow White (region2 PAL)This has 2 audio tracks - english 5.1 and swedish 5.1.

When I listen to the Swedish mix it is truly discreet - dialog comes only from the center channel and music plays by itself in the left and right speakers. However, if I listen to the english 5.1 mix (with my ear close to the right speaker) it sound's as if it's a 2-channel mix that has been run trough a dolby prologic decoder. I can clearly hear how the music goes down whenever a line is spoken or sung - and low level of dialog can be heared.

My question to someone with the region 1 version of Snow White- do the english 5.1 mix sound like this on Your DVD? I find it odd that it should.

2. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

I own the Snow White and Seven Dwarfs region 1 DVD. The english 5.1 mix is like 2 channel sound. Not really rich.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The track sounds more like this:

Center speaker mainly for dialogue

Front L & R for sound effects and group dialogue

Rear speakers: Ambience and music (sometimes some sound effects)

I think the mono track is being confused with the 5.1 track since both are on the disc. The mono, I think, is 2 channel.

The 5.1 remix, IMHO, is a great mono-to-stereo surround remix. The sound is always clear, although some dialogue is sparringly harsh (due to then-primitive sound recording technology) but I didn't hear any distortion, hiss, pops, cracks, etc. The score sounds exceptionally good as do the sound effects. The sound and video is actually BETTER than it was in 1937!

4. Claes Ljunghorn

5. Claes Ljunghorn

Please - could'nt someone with the region 1 DVD just play the first scene with dialog and music on the 5.1 mix (the queen and the mirror) with their ear close to the right (or left) speaker and tell me if they hear dialog that is being steered towards the center speaker.

I know i'm nuts, but I would really like to know if I have the same mix on my version, since I find it so strange that it should have been made this way...and the swedish version not.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I had a listen. The 5.1 English track steers some dialogue to the left and right speakers on the region 1 disc. The steering happens in some scenes but not all of them, at least as far as I could tell.

7. Claes Ljunghorn

Edwin-S,

Thank You for taking the trouble to listen! I thought it was something wrong with the swedish disc, but I guess it's the same mix then...and I still think it's a strange way of doing it, since it surely must compromise the result for those who down-mix to pro-logic..?

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The weird thing about this is that on the 5.1 English track it seemed like higher frequencies wer being steered to the mains, than on the French 5.1 track. When playing the same sequence (the queen consulting her mirror) using the French track, it seemed like there was a kind of muffled mid range sound being steered to the mains with almost no high frequency component. I don't know if this is deliberate or whether there is leakage from the center channels into the mains due to a mixing error. It does seem rather odd. I am not quite sure how it would effect a downmix for prologic.

9. Claes Ljunghorn