What's new

question about sky captain (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
In chapter 15, the scene where they are about to get on the rocket and the rocket ignites ready to blast off and all the bass kicks in i heard what appeared to be as if my speakers were clipping. Now i dont know if it is part of the sound mix or if my speakers really were, but it did worry me? Has anyone else heard this and confirm that it is normal? I have athena speakers all around and have not yet hit the 50-100hr mark so maybe that could be a possibility. While waiting to break speakers in, should I not be pushing them hard? thanks!

I did not know where to post this whether it be in speakers or ht software so please forgive me if I had posted in the wrong section.

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
well i did tried doing that, but i could just hear it less, but at this point my ears are playing tricks on me already so i hear no matter what. I am hoping someone else will hear it too

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are a few other movies that have something similar, where the distortion is recorded into the track (unintentionally), though I can't remember off hand what they are right now.

I have a few CDs that are like that also. I thought it was my system until I tried it on a few other setups and found the same thing at any volume, so it may not be your ears that are the problem :)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
would return of the jedi be one of them? I think it was the end when they blow up the death star and the surrounds make a noise that sound like distortion.

so no one is yet to confirm that it is the movie and not my speakers?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Played that scene twice @ -10 dB below REF Level (Fast LFE Peaks = approx. 106 dB+) and NO distortion, clipping or sound problems! Just floor, air & pant leg moving LFE and crystal clear Theater dynamic effects!!!

Could be your DVD??

Phil

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
hmm, now i am worried again. Are dvds sometimes recorded different than others of the same movie? Funny thing is that I have never heard this before on any other movie. Could it be my speakers breaking in since they are athenas and they need to be broken in to 50-100 hours to loosen the woofer up (I think thats why they need to be broken in)? Well i think i am going to give another try and see what happens.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Allan.... Did you have your system calibrated? Also, are your speakers set to small or large?
Sky Captain has got some tremendous LFE and all I hear is my house shaking...........

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dose sound like it might be a system set up problem given the limited info thus far.

Either Allan may not have calibrated his system, or he's calied it (hopefully with a spl meter) and "has some or all of his speaks set large". Sure fire way to distort/pop/bottom/even blow, smaller bookshelf even tower woofs at med/high to high volumes.

I didn't see Allan mention running a Subwoofer either.

====>
As Donny asked, I'll ask also..

Have you calibrated your system with at least the Receivers test tones, or better yet a calibration disc like Avia or S&V etc and (SPL meter), not your ears.???

Are you running a self powered subwoofer??

And what do you have your speakers set to, small or large?
=====>

After answewring these few questions, people can be of much more help in straighten out your posted problem. ;)

Oh yes, same here as Phil, no problems with any chapter or scene in the movie in question, & at -10 under ref also..

Regards
Geoff ¥

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, that was a very good question. I just got Sky Captain, so I did some detective work:D What you are hearing is part of the recording, it's not in the LFE, it's in the front channels or stereo, and it is at precisely 1:30 and 11 seconds into the movie, and it is that sound of a rocket engine blastoff, sort of what reminds me of what the Saturn five sounded like, it's not clipping, and only lasts for 1 second, and right after that sec, the rocket is going up and it's pure bass. I couldn't hear it in speaker surround, as it's late and I can't turn it up very loud, and I thought it wasn't there, so to double check, I got my studio monitor headphones out so I could pump it, and that's when I discovered it. It's definitely a added effect to the soundtrack, I listened to it a bunch of times, pretty cool. Note: I just checked it again in low volume speaker surround, and now that I'm aware of the precise time that it happens, it's easy to detect now. Hehe, this must of have been driving you crazy Allan! Your speakers are fine dude! Peace. -Morgan

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
ah yes thats what I was hoping it would be. Thanks Morgan. I thought that it was just an added effect, but it still drove me crazy, especially when everyone was saying that they could'nt hear it. And yes that is right, it does only last for just one second, next time I should be more specific as to where exactly. Sorry everyone and thanks for everyone's help. By the way, yes my system is calibrated and my speakers are set to small and I do have a sub. Now everyone can know what i meant and not think that I am going crazy.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks