Question about Sirius hardware?...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by todd s, Sep 6, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My wife and I are Nascar fans. And have been holding off getting Satellite radio since Nascar is switching to Sirius in Jan. I know very little about the equipment. What should I look for. I would prefer something I can put into a car and take out when at home or when in another car.

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You will be looking for a plug and play unit. Popular ones are the Sportster and the Starmate. They are basic units. You can get them as "Replay" models, which allow you to pause live content for around 45 minutes of buffer. Basic smaller units are the Visor and the Sirius One, which are thin, one display line units that attach to the visor of the car and are easily removed. Either way, you'll need a home dock/boombox for home use and an additional car dock for each automobile you want to move it to.

These units all output on a FM transmitter that you tune via your car radio. For better sound, you can hardwire your FM transmitter (better sound) or hardwire your audio out to an audio input on your car radio (best sound). Each of these better sound options require more hardware, if your car is not equipped with an aux in.

Finally, Sirius is just releasing the new Stilletto, which is a wearable portable player with WiFi capability, has 100 hours of recording time, can be scheduled to record, plays MP3's, etc., etc. It is expensive and still requires a home and car dock, but it is the top of the line.

Much more info here:Crutchfield Sat Radio Guide

You want to look under "plug-and-play" or "portable".

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks. I do have a quick question. My wife has the Honda. Which has the input setups in the radio for XM. Can they be used with Sirius when have a dealer install a unit?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not very easily. There are some that have jury rigged it, but Hondas are pretty much XM only. There isn't even an aftermarket Sirius unit for Honda stock radios. You'd probably have to purchase a new head unit and a Sirius unit to go with it to get what you want.

5. peterac

peterac Agent

I had a Sirius S50 until it was stolen (from my car). I loved it but I am getting a new company car that will have a built in Sirius.

The S50 can record 40 hours of content I think. Very easy to program recordings as well. If you want to bring it into the house you will need a home dock as well which is sold separately for about $99.

Maybe it will come down in price with the release of the Stiletto?

Cheers,
    Pete R.