Question about Signal to Noise Ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Yung, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Would someone please explain to me what signal to noise ratio means? Is it better to get higher or lower number? Thanks for your help.

2. Steven Lin

Steven Lin Extra

Waveforms in communication systems consist of a desired part called the signal and an undesired part called the noise.
    The signal to noise ratio (abbreviated S/N) is defined to be a ratio of the signal power to the noise power. This ratio is often expressed in dB and is given as S/N = 10 log (Psignal/Pnoise).
    The signal power is in the numerator of the equation, so this implies that a higher number is better.
    So, when someone says in a forum, "Man, the S/N has gone way down, here," it's a complaint about the increase in useless postings. :)
    ------------------
    Steven

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

LMAO
    Steven,,, I think you might have made Michael's head hurt with that one!
    Michael,
    --------
    You want to look for a HIGHER number. A good GENERAL basic s/n ratio of a 100 or better is considered good. --------
    Some may argue, [​IMG] and of course what type of unit your talking would cause one to give it more or less consideration.
    Amps, SUB-AMP, AV-recievers, Prepro, EQ's, CD, DVD etc.
    No flames please
    Hope that helps ya, ~ though I liked Steven's answer better!
    Geoff

4. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Thank you both for your excellent explanations. And yes, Steven's post did make my head spin just a little when I read it the first time but just like Jr. High math, I fought through it again the second time and I think I got it! [​IMG]