Question about seperates...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ArthurJ, Sep 3, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

If I had say for example a Rotel RMB-1075/RSP-1066 Combo. Would it benefeit the 2 channel listening to add a RC-1070 Stereo Pre-amp, Using the same 5 ch. amplifier? Thanks!

2. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Nobody knows?

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Arthur,

If you're only planning to have a five channel system, I really don't think it would improve things that much for the money spent. It probably will only increase your system output one decibel or so, not really that much. As for sonic benefits, some claim that that little extra power will give better control over the bass output and the like, but, again, for the money, I'd stay with just the 1075, as it's a fine amp in its own right.

I'd like to invite you over to Club Rotel to post this question there as it is a board dedicated to Rotel products. Come on over. [​IMG]

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Dana,
    Arthur asked about the 1070 preamp, not the 1070 amp.

Arthur,
    To answer your question, yes, it would improve 2 channel listening. To what extent, I am not sure, as I have never done a head to head b/w the two preamps. But I do own a 1055 now (same insides as the 1066) and I used to own a RC-1070, and I can say that from what I remember the RC-1070 was little more defined, clean, and airy in 2 ch listening than the 1055. Since you already have the 1066 and 1075, I would see if you could ask your Rotel dealer for either his/her opinion and/or a demo of the two units' 2 ch performance side to side.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Oops.

Sorry about that. Okay, let's try again. I have the 1066 pre-pro and a Parasound 1205A 5 channel amp. I too wondered if it would yield a significant difference and did approach my dealer in this regard. He advised against it, lauding the two channel performance of the 1066 and basically saying it wouldn't be worth the money. Interestingly, there was a recent thread over at Club Rotel, which I'll link you to in a few minutes.

Here's your link to a discussion of using two channel amps with other Rotel gear. Click here You probably are going to be quite surprised at some of the responses from those who have used high order two channel preamps before and during ownership of Rotel gear.