Question about selling DSS receivers with cards

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by JohnA, Jan 2, 2004.

1. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to sell the following but, have questions first:

Sony SAT A2 satelite receiver with original (HU?) card and remote. System works and was replaced with a DirecTivo unit.

Hughes GXECBOT Directivo unit with remote and original (P4?) card. Was working until a brief power failure and now stuck in "Powering up..." screen. This unit was out of warranty and was just recently replaced with an identical new unit.

Here are the questions:

1. Is it legal to sell these units with the card?

2. Is it legal to sell the card without the unit? I have seen countless postings selling just HU cards for more money than the hardware sells.

3. Should I be concenred selling the cards with the units or otherwise that where used on my DSS account.

I want to sell these items but, want to protect myself as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

-

2. JesseSt

JesseSt Agent

John,

As for the legality of selling the combo, I don't know of anything preventing it.

As for your protection, Did they send you a P4 card to replace that HU card? If not, I would make sure that the subscription on it has been deactivated. If you are using a Tivo unit, it has a P4 which has a different subscription...did you buy this in addition to the other unit or did you get it from directv as a replacement?

If it was a replacement then your old subscription on the HU card has been deactivated by directv.

Hope that helps.

-Jesse

P.S. I'll buy the receiver and HU card if/when you sell it.

3. JesseSt

JesseSt Agent

John,

Actually I believe your receiver may have an H card which is the one that was out right before the HU. If it has a satellite picture on it, it's an H card, if it has a football player, it's an HU.

If it is an H card then it is definitely deactivated and there is no risk in selling it.

-Jesse

4. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

JesseSt

The DirecTivo Unit was never deactivated. I just unplugged it and plugged in the new one from Circuit City. Is there anything I can do to deactivate it?

The Sony card does have a picture of a satelite. So, it must be an "H" card as you stated. Can this card still be used with the unit if it is sold? I am unsure if it was deactivated, as I forgot to remove it from my account for at least a year after not using it.

I have two other cards that where replaced with new cards by DirectTV. Not sure what they are. One came out of the faulty DirecTivo unit prior to it going bad and the other came out of an older Hughes reciever.

Thank you for your help.

5. JesseSt

JesseSt Agent

Hey John,

The receiver you can sell but the H card isn't valid anymore. The tivo receiver...not sure about deactivation. I would call DSS and ask on that.

-Jesse

6. ThuanVu

ThuanVu Stunt Coordinator

H card is useless now (for those hacker)
    HU can be sold for $50-100 . Not sure if it's illegal ?
    Thuan