Question about Screen protectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Tk, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I hooked up progressive DVD player and did some quick stuff using AVIA to a Sony 51, Hitachi 53, and panny 53 inch Wide screen RPTV's today. I was very surprised with the panny's performance, because before I had dismissed it as not being as good as the Sony or Hitachi, and never really payed attention to it. After finding out that I could get it around 1200, I found it is much more appealing than the Sony or Hitachi.

So my question is, it does not come with a screen protector. Does this improve the picture or just protect the screen? Do the Sony's and Hitachi's have the same type screen as the panny (the kind that has a ruff feel to it), but just comes with a screen protector? If you took the screen protector off the Sony, would it have the same type ruff screen as the panny?

Thanks

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

The only thing a screen protector does is to add glare and reduce the contrast ratio. If you have cats or small children you may want to consider a set with a screen protector. If not, have it removed if you buy a set with one.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Interesting. So you actually get a better picture without one? I just thought Panasonic was being cheap.

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

while we're on topic, is there a place I can buy a generic screen protector?

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    All rear-projection TVs use the "rough" screen you described on the Panasonic. It is called a Lenticular screen, and it is necessary to assure even brightness throughout the image. Any RPTV that has a screen protector simply puts another piece of clear plastic in front of this lenticular screen, to protect it from harm. On some brands (Mitusbishi and Pioneer come to mind) you may remove this protective screen, but on Sonys and Hitachis you're more-or-less stuck with it.

Panasonic makes two models on most of their TVs, one with a screen protector (and a better remote) and one without. I think the TV you're looking at is the same way. Expect to pay about $100 more for the one with, but if you have kids, pets, or clumsy adults around it is a good idea to get the screen protector. The screen itself is VERY scratch-prone and can even be cracked without much effort, and even a small scratch is impossible to ignore when watching the TV. I've seen the pocket rivet on a pair of jeans scratch a TV's screen as somebody's butt simply brushed up against it... buy a TV without a protector only if you are confident you can keep everybody away from it.

"The only thing a screen protector does is to add glare and reduce the contrast ratio." Well, it protects the screen, too, of course, but Bill has a point. Which type of screen looks better is a matter of opinion, however; some people like the look of a TV with a screen protector better. A protector tends to soften up the image a bit, which some people like. I'd recommend taking a good look at both versions, and see which look you prefer.

David, RCA used to make generic screen protectors that you could attach with velcro. I don't know if they still do, but they're who I'd start with. Hope this was helpful!

6. ScottyS

ScottyS Auditioning

Wait a second...you say you can get the 53" Panny Widescreen for $1200? Where? E-mail me at [email protected] or Private Message me (Do these forums have Private Messaging?) with info please!!! [​IMG]

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Thanks for the info.

Next question, can I use the anti-glare spray people sell for PC monitors to reduce the glare. Does the anti-glare spray work at all?

8. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that also. What set are you going to to be able to get for $1200? If it's the "53 Panny...like Scott said, then count me in too. Private email.