What's new

Question about SACD hookup?? (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I know that this has been discussed by many on this forum (Keith, et al), but help me with my situation,

I have the Sony SACD 222ES (sorry, didn't get the 555, but it sounds great to me) and have a Parasound AVP 1800 pre/pro. It sounds like the best way to set up 2 channel SACD and redbook (CD) is using the 2 analog outs in the SACD player and going into 2 analog ins on the pre-amp. My question is this, how do I know if my pre-amp has a TRUE analog pass through (that is supposed to sound so much better VS using the 5.1 analog INs or the digital IN). I have a bunch of RCA inputs marked "video1, video2, video3,audio1,audio2,audio3" then I have the 5.1 input button, then I have 2 Coax (digital) and 2 optical (digital) inputs. As I understand it, some say that it sounds better to use the player as a "transport" and let the pre/pro recieve the digital signal and now OTHERS are saying totally differen, WHY??? I know that my parasound uses the burr-brown DACs (I guess they are supposed to be really good, for the $$ that this pre/amp sales for ($1000)).

What would be your hookup advice??

btw, I have CDM7NT speakers and a Rotel amp

any help would be appreciated.

RicP

Screenwriter
Well Rodney, there are essentially 3 ways that you can hook up the 222ES to the AVC-1800.
Firstly, I have to ask what are running into the 5.1 inputs on the 1800? If nothing, then that's where you want to run the 222ES into. Use the 5.1 channel outputs on the 222ES and run them into the 1800.
This will automatically give you an analog direct signal. You can use the Tone Bypass feature of the 1800 though if you want to be sure. This way you only need one hookup for both stereo and multi-channel SACD. SACD cannot be sent via a digital cable, so that method is out.
The Second way would be to run analog cables from the 2-Channel outs on the 222ES into one of the audio inputs on the 1800. This would give you inputs for 2 channel SACD and regular CD, but not for multi-channel SACD.
Thirdly is to use a digital cable to the 1800. This will allow you to use the DACs in the 1800 for Redbook CD only, you will not be able to play SACD through a digital input. For SACD you'll need to choose one of the other 2 hookup possibilities.
I'd go with option 1 for SACD, and then run both analog cables from the 2-CH out of the 222ES and a digital cable so you can test and see which set of DACs you prefer....the ones in the 222ES or the ones in the 1800.
:)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Ric, thanx for your help, I LEFT out 1 important factor, I am using the 5.1 inputs for DVD-A.

Right now I have is hooked up to one of the (audio1) inputs and CD to digital input, and use the 5.1 input for DVD-A. I just hope that the Audio1 is a true analog input without any signal degradation??

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I just re-read my manual very closely, it says that ALL audio-only inputs (audio1,audio2,audio3) are ANALOG!! sounds like that is the answer??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks