Question about SACD\DVD Players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Zack Scott, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I had a dvd player that could play DVD-A's. Unfortunately it took a crap on me and the repair bill would be 400.00's I have about 6 DVD-A's (including Queen's ANATO) and I love them. but am considering going SACD too. I would really like the Pioneer DV45-A but don't have the cash but looking at the dvd/sacd players I was wondering: since DVD-A's play on all DVD Video players(but in a just dolby digital 5.1 not 96/24) would they play on a dvd/sacd combo player in just 5.1?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Yes, if the player was DVD-V+SACD you would be able to play back the DD and/or the DTS tracks of the disc.

Regards,

3. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

yeah but is that an assumtion or have you actually tried it out???

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Zack,

I have a reasonable grasp on the topic, to be secure in saying it will work.

I have to admit that I haven't tried it on every DVD-V+SACD player on the market though. My testing has been limited to the Sony 9000, NS500V and 999ES. There are a others I haven't tested on the market, but knowing what I do know, it'll work.

It's part of the DVD-A specification and I have yet to see a DVD-A disc that didn't include a DD track of some sort.

Regards,

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zack, John is correct. The inclusion of SACD circuitry in no way affects playback of DVD-Video material on DVD-Audio discs.

If you are willing to wait awhile, Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A universal player (DVD-Audio and SACD) for $270. I don't know the exact release date, but it should be out soon. Likewise, Zenith will release the DV-318 universal player this year for $200.