Question about running speaker wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Pamela, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Not sure which forum this goes in...

I moved all of my HT equipment to the house today. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set it up. The house was built in 1933—not HT friendly at all. The position of the rear speakers requires me to run the speaker wires over the doors. Not usually a problem, except there are no door frames to run it around. And to top it off, the walls curve on the edges around the door. I'm stumped at how to run the wire. Pulling up the carpet is not an option.

Any suggestions?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Paint the wire the same color of the ceiling and staple it?
    Ok, the curves might be a mess. Super glue?

How about poking a hole or two? If you can get to the floor below and then string it through. Sometimes, in a corner you might even find where the boards (Walls & floors) don't meet anymore, and might be able to pull the floorboard out and drill a hole at the end of the floor. The floorboard would cover the hole and if you don't nail the floorboard all the way back in, the wire won't slip and won't be p;inched, either.

Hey, you moved! Nice going!

Glenn

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Is a wireless speaker configuration an option for you at this point? (I know you just moved, but still...) It's certainly nowhere as cheap as speaker wire, but it's a good option if you don't want to have blatantly visible wires all over the place.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what is directly below the HT room? crawl? garage? other living space?
    I drilled holes through the floor and ran mine in the crawl, a good way to go if this is an option.

if you have carpet I bet with an electricians fish tape you could get the wire run under the carpet and guide it to the other hole and thread the wire this way, I've never done it or am even sure it could be done, just an idea (that I do think might work)

look at the bright side, under that carpet might be some beautiful old hardwood floors just waiting to be discovered [​IMG]

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Maybe a member near by will be able to help, it really is no big deal aside from the dusty nasty crawl space, I don't even WANT to know what it's like in a house that old, blech. But if you want to pick up roundtrip airfare to LAX... [​IMG] it's cheaper to fly me out of colorado springs whenever you're ready [​IMG]

the trick is to cut the carpet with a razor knife to slip the bit through so you don't snag it and run the carpet (learned the hard way [​IMG]) then just drill away. It really isn't that bad and keeps the room nice and clean, if only I could hide the fire hazard of wires behind my equipment rack as nice... Then theres my fish tank [​IMG] that is seriously a fire waiting to happen.

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The problem with "wireless" speakers is that they really aren't "wireless". Instead of running a signal cable you have to run a power cable - this really isn't solving the problem when you want to put, for example, the rear surrounds up high near the ceiling.

Pamela's house is probably finished with lath-and-plaster interior which is quite brittle. The only good thing is that there is probably more space in the walls for running a fish tape, and the house probably isn't up to current code with respect to cross-members between the studs.

Is there access to the attic above the HT room?

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Anyone know how much professional installation to run the wires under the house would cost?

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Would using an electricians fish tape and flat speaker wire work to get the wire under the carpets? That's what I did in my home.

11. andrew markworthy

12. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

14. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Francis-
    Sounds like that would be my best bet. My wire has to go about 15 ft, too. Just don't want to mess up the carpet.

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

As for pulling the carpet, it might depend on the installation. The pros stretch the carpet and then whack it down, so if you pull it up you may not be able to get it back to where it was before. That's the bad news.

Of course, a regular installer might not have made such a tight fit, so it might be easy to do. I did have a speaker wire under the carpet once, but I didn't take the corner out. I moved down about five feet away (on both sides)from one corner. The sides were a lot easier to pull up. Then I fished a piece of stiff wire through until it came out the other side, with the speaker wire taped to the end.

The carpet tacks are nasty, so stay away from them. If you do that the wire will be on top of the carpet tack strip and there will be a tiny bulge, though.

Pulling the baseboards might be easier, as there is sometimes a space just big enough for a speaker wire (14 ga.) to fit under it. If it runs around a corner and the carpet tack strip is in the way, just chisel the corner out.

Glenn

17. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Pamela, why not just get a throw rug to put in the doorway area?

My main system is in a living room with four doorways (no kidding; also built in the 1930s — personality!). Two of the doorways have 14-gauge wire across the path. Putting mats above them was the only solution I was willing to consider.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've moved this thread into the HT contruction/interiors area (with a pointer still in the After Hours area).