What's new

Question about running cables for new projector install (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have a finished basement that I want to install a projector and screen in it. I had the electrician over last week to see what my options were for wiring. He said it was possible as I could run what I needed down the line of a soffit and then do a 90 degree turn and run down the ceiling joist to the spot where I would wire in an outlet.
So my question is...would I need anything other than an HDMI cable? My current DLP just has one HDMI cable running from my AVR which handles all the audio. I use it for everything...sat box, BD and HD DVD player as well as my Wii.
I guess I will just have him run 2" pipe so that in the future, if something else comes along, it would be pretty easy to fish new cables down to the projector from my AVR.

Am I missing something? I am due to meet with him later this week to get this done so I want to make sure I am prepared. Thanks!

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Running the 2" pipe is a good idea. I would also pull 2-3 cat5e wires as well. They can be converted to just about anything and may help in a pinch for future use. Just an fyi, long HDMI cables aren't cheap, something to be aware of.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thanks, I will have him run a couple cat5 cables as well.
I hear ya about the HDMI cable....just ordered one from Monoprice...35 footer for $80 and change.

plinkoking

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Make sure to run all the cables you need now and could need later. Its better to be safethan sorry

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
If you are still using a VCR then I would also run a composite video. Reason being is the all of the video switching, upconverting everything to HDMI receivers that I have tried will not upconvert an composite or s-video source to HDMI unless the tape is running at normal speed. If you try to do fast or slow motion the upconverters fall on there face. I have not tried upconverting component video to HDMI from a DVD player and using the slow or fast motion test. But I do not have any component sources, just and s-video superVHS deck and three HDMI sources, Direct tv box, Macintosh Mini computer, and Blue Ray player.. My reciever is an Yamaha RX-V2700 and upconverts all sources to HDMI but the s-video from the VCR falls apart on slow, fast and freeze frame. I ran a seperate s-video cable from the s-video out on the Yamaha to my 60 Hitachi RPT along with the HDMI to DVI cable. If I want to slo mo a VCR then I switch the input on the RPT to svideo. Other wise it stays on DVI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks