Question about rumble filters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RodN, Jun 22, 2004.

1. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this game and have searched and not been able to find a definitive answer. Do you need a rumble filter for a sealed sub?

Some have suggested you don't.

I ask this as I am considering just using a PA amp for driving my 110L sealed temptest project but am a little concerned that there is no rumble filter included in these amps.

2. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this game and have searched and not been able to find a definitive answer. Do you need a rumble filter for a sealed sub?

Some have suggested you don't.

I ask this as I am considering just using a PA amp for driving my 110L sealed temptest project but am a little concerned that there is no rumble filter included in these amps.

3. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

depends on whether your goal is lowest possible response or higher output. But it is not as critical as with a vented sub, because the driver is not becoming 'unloaded' below the tuning frequency of the vent. However you will have better power handling & max output if you filter out say, everything below 20 hz.

4. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

depends on whether your goal is lowest possible response or higher output. But it is not as critical as with a vented sub, because the driver is not becoming 'unloaded' below the tuning frequency of the vent. However you will have better power handling & max output if you filter out say, everything below 20 hz.

5. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

I've been wondering the same thing after reading about the bass in some of the recent DVDs like the new Matrix. I have a ported AV-12 run off a JBL pro amp. I haven't noticed it bottoming out, but wonder if something like a Harrison Labs 20hz high-pass FMOD from partsexpress would be prudent since they're only about $25? Or would this not be worth the effort.

Any opinions appreciated.

6. AndersP

AndersP Stunt Coordinator

Beside vinyl and maybe cassettetapes there is no need for a rumble filter when running a closed sub. I suppose the matrix guys put the sound there for a reason.