Question about RPTV Warranties . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DustinC, Jul 28, 2002.

1. DustinC

DustinC Stunt Coordinator

I have a 4-year extended warranty on my 56H80, is it now void because I removed the protective screen?

Yeah, that would be a big waste of money, if it is.

(And now I realize that I didn't need to get that stupid warranty anyway)

Thanks

Dustin

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Dustin, I am *not* a big believer in extended warranties (American Express Blue handles warranty doubling for up to two additional years on most things). But, when I bought my Mits 65" HDTV I did buy an extended warranty from Sears. Just to replace one of the CRT's in the Mits would cost more than my extended warranty did. On a $3000 TV an extended warranty is "peace" of mind. [​IMG]
    I would not let a Sears tech do the routine CRT cleaning on my set, I reserve that chore for myself - even if it is part of the extended warranty. Unless I have a failure on the unit, the only one other than me who will touch my baby will be a ISF certified calibration artist. [​IMG]
    I would be shocked if removing the protective screen voided your warranty. Even if it did, you could always temporarily put it back until after the service tech was done!
    No worries mate, you done good! Just enjoy the damn thing now!!!!
    Pete

3. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

just tell them it came with a scratched screen and you needed to take the screen off.

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Dustin,
    If the screen on your TV is designed to be user-removable (as the screens on Pioneers and Mitsus are) then removing it will not void either a manufacturer's or an extended warranty. If, however, you had to take the front of the TV apart to get the screen off (as on Panasonics and Sonys), then it probably will void the manufacturer's warranty, but not the extended one. I'm afraid I don't know your TV well enough to say which type it is, but if you already took the screen off then you know which type it was.

Due to the extremely high cost of reparing even a simple problem on a RPTV, I'd buy an extended warranty on any big screen I couldn't afford to replace. Even Consumer Reports says it's a good idea on RPTVs, and CS NEVER recommends extended warranties.

5. DustinC

DustinC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks!