What's new

Question about RPTV and In-House Warranty (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I have an RPTV on the third floor of my house that needs to be serviced. When I bought the thing, I purchased an extended warranty with in-house service because I knew it would be a pain to remove this thing from the house once it reached it's final resting place.

My question is this - does the in-house service mean that the repair shop has to send a technician to my house and repair the TV without removing it? What are some of the members' experiences with this type of thing?

Thanx,

Lin

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
most times, with RPTVs and inhome warranties, they will simply send somebody to come and pick it up, to take back to the repair center.

Gregg

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
It depends on the brand , servicer , and physical construction of the set. If it uses boards which are still available and the servicer has deep enough pockets to sit on $2000 worth of panels and dud fees for a couple of months then it might be done in the home. If boards aren't available (most disappear after 12-15 months) or it is an intermittent problem then something is probably going in to the shop. Some sets have removable "light boxes" which come out for servicing.Also,some servicers, Sears for instance , have been known to send techs out to shotgun parts a dozen times before realising they couldn't fix it on site.The customer is unfortunately caught between two conflicting philosophies. Sales ,which wants you to believe it can be fixed at home and engineering which does not build a home repairable chassis. The warranty ultimately means that someone else foots the bill if it has to go in. Some things just can not be fixed on site and no guarantee will change that. You might argue with the insurance company (most extended warranties are actually insurance policies) that they should give you a new set if they can't fix it in the home. (not very likely but it has been known to happen)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks