Question about RP91 Scaling Feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Alcasid, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

The RP91 has a feature that shrinks 4:3 material and zooms letterboxed movies into a 16:9 frame. Does happen automatically or manually?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

There is an AUTO setting which performs the scaling automatically, as long as the disc is properly flagged. I have yet to play a disc with full frame material that was not properly flagged. However, numerous non-anamorphic widescreen discs in my collection are improperly flagged as standard full frame. In this case, the player both letterboxes and windowboxes the picture -- i.e. there are black bars on all sides of the picture. For these discs, you can manually zoom the picture via the RP-91's menus.

3. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

So for letterboxed movies I will need to manually zoom. The zoom is not a dedicated button on the remote, I have to dig through some menus?

4. Scott Merryfield

You will only need to zoom for those letterboxed movies where the disc is not properly flagged. I have about 80 non-anamorphic widescreen discs, and of those I have played on the RP-91 probably 40% are improperly flagged. The others work fine in the AUTO scaling format. Off the top of my head, I know that Planet Of The Apes (the original), The Abyss and The Great Escape all scale properly on the AUTO setting. I do not recall which discs I needed to manually scale.

You are correct that there is no direct access button on the remote to manually zoom letterboxed material. You need to go to the U4 menu within the player to change this setting.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

6. Scott Merryfield

Robert,

I agree. While the RP-91 has some great features and a wonderful picture, it's ergonomics are no where near as good as the two Sony players I have owned. Most of the time it's not a problem, but navigating the menus for a simple mode change, and making the change at the proper point in playing the disc, can be a pain. I also miss the "time remaining" and bit rate meter displays from my old Sony players.

On the other hand, every time I watch supplemental material I love the automatic aspect ratio control, which keeps me from constantly changing the viewing mode on my 16x9 TV to view the material properly. This convenience outweighs the other inconvenience issues for me.

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    I read another thread about a potential problem with the RP91 which has NOT been confirmed yet. Someone wrote a review of the RP91 on this forum saying that the non-anamorphic scaling feature crops the sides by 10%. Is this true or was his system improperly setup? I have a Zenith PRO880X 16x9 projector and the 16x9 scaling feature on my JVC 723GD works fine (I'm upgrading because of the subtitle bug). The unit should be in any day now so I'd like to know if this really is a problem. I also have the upgrade CD image downloaded in case I have to upgrade the firmware. Thanks.
    Update: Here is the link to the thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=51407
    ...and the quote:

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Scott said:

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

My sony 7000 just died last night and I have a 16x9 direct view that locks into 16x9 full mode with 480P input...so I'm now dreaming up upgrading to the Panny 91 *today*.

Question. I remember people saying early on that sometimes the zoom image was shifted to the left on the display. Is this still the case or was this a "bug" that has been fixed? Is it a pain to adjust this when it happens? Any other bugs I should know about before I take the plunge?

thanks!

-dave

10. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

David-

I just replaced my Panasonic H1000 with the RP91. Very please so far, have the Elite 510 that locks, the H1000 solved that and I was totally satisfied but decided to trade into the RP91 while I could still get a good trade in value for the 1000.

The RP91 matches and in many ways exceeds the quality of the 1000, I highly recommend it though I would encourage you read all the many threads/comments posted here. After all I read here I felt I was very familiar with the player when I got it 2 weeks ago, some really helpful feedback from RP91 owners.

The shift problem has a fix attachment page to the instruction book, mine has a manufacture date of January 2002. Very easy fix.

Also, Denon has some new players coming out this month and next with the 4:3 shrink, letter-box zoom etc. that the 91 has, may be worth looking into as another option. Had I known I maybe would have waited to compare, but so far I have no regrets.

Regards,

Brian

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

You may also want to note that on some discs that are letterboxed with subtitles below the letterboxed image the player will play back in what appears to be the shrink mode. It's 4:3 letterboxed with side bars too. Very odd, but understandable.

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

From what I understand the "auto" setting relies on the DVD aspect-ratio flags. So if a lbxed DVD is flagged (inproperly) as 4x3 full-frame, it will windowbox it. One could always force a zoom, which is what I'd do. since it has the zoom vertical-panning feature this makes it easy for subtitles movies.

question for you all: Should I buy it today at a local AV shop for $600 or wait 2 weeks and get it from a liscensed dealer off the web for @ $450??? Since my Sony is dead I don't have any way to watch movies in the meantime. Ugh!

-dave

13. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    David,

I bought mine locally for exactly $600 - too many moving parts for me to risk not being able to easily return it.

For me, the extra cash was worth it for the peace of mind.

Cheers