Question about release dates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Massey, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    Can someone explain the following
    I was at a memorabilia fair in the UK this weekend, and a number of stalls were selling DVD. These included releases which I thought were not out yet. From memory I saw the following :
    Planet of the Apes
    X Files Season 4
    Star Trek TMP
    Dr Zchivago
    Over here, release dates are very strictly adhered to for r2 releases.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Shame on them! If they did sell them before the actual release date and got caught, they could be in it pretty deep. I guess the studio could refuse to sell them any more titles, but they would have to be caught and prosecuted.
    Glenn
    PS - Did you pick any of them up?

3. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

Generally the punishment for breaking street is that the retailer simply doesn't get their titles shipped to them until the actual day of release. This means the retailer doesn't get the chance to rake in on the first week of high sales for big releases such as Ep1 or Mummy Returns. I've never heard of a studio refusing to sell a retailer the titles at all, however.
    ------------------
    "Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
    -Will Durant
    [Edited last by Nick White on November 04, 2001 at 09:14 PM]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Were those R1 or R2 copies? I bet they were R1s, in which case they don't have to pay attention to street date
    Even so, flea market/con dealers are so unlikely to be caught breaking street they do it anyway. It's one of the ways they stay competetive
    Jeff Kleist

5. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    They were all R1 copies
    I did pick up Planet of the Apes, but I had already ordered the other on the internet, and didn't want to risk buying them in case they had already been shipped (which they had!!)