Question about Region 2 PAL and Region 3 NTSC

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Reggie W, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    I'm in the United States and am thinking of getting an all region player to grab some titles that are not available here. My question is for those in the US that have all region players...

Is there a difference and do you get better picture quality if you purchase R3 discs that are NTSC rather than R2 discs that are PAL?

I've noticed I can get some titles in R3 NTSC and that seems like the logical better way to go. I'm just trying to confirm this and see if people have noticed a difference in the PAL discs due to the conversion factor.

Thanks,

Reg

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

If you're going to get PAL discs, you need a DVD player that can convert a PAL video signal to NTSC. (Not all multi-regional players can do this.)

3. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

If your screen can support PAL, then you'll get a higher vertical resolution. If it's better depends on the source material used. Higher resolution isn't always the same as better picture quality...

4. Asif

Asif Auditioning

Like Jeff mentioned earlier, just an all region player will play only NTSC discs no matter what the region so please make sure that you player is 'properly' able to convert Pal to Ntsc as many players don't convert the picture in proper format. Also you can't compare R2 PAL to R3 NTSC, because they belong to their specific regions just like R1 NTSC is used in North America, pal is used in europe and R3 NTSC in most asian countries.