Question about rechargeable batteries

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Jun 21, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, i found some batteries and chargers cheap at compgeeks.com, one advertises:

Ni-MH/Ni-Cd Battery Charger w/4 Ni-MH AA Batteries ($11)
    and the other is
    4-cell NiCd Battery Charger w/4 1.2V AA Batteries ($8)

I just wanted to clarify some facts:

NiMH (nickel metal hydride) has no charge 'memory' right? and NiCD does? So Ni-MH would be better right?

Also, what do the mAH ratings mean? i know they're important, but i forget what they are. Is it low long they can hold a charge for? (ie if you used 1000mAH batteries it wouldn't last as long as if you used 1800mAH batteries in the same device?)

Thanks

Edit: also, how are these prices? how much does four NiMH batteries usually go for?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yes, buy the NiMH rechargeable batteries. Just think of the mA rating as the capacity of the battery, so go with the battery with the higher mA rating.

I think the current highest capacity is 2200mA NiMH batteries.

3-4 years ago, I made an investment in 2 sets of 4 AA 1500mA NiMH rechargeables with the Maha recharger, and have have no complaints. The batteries are only used for my digital camera.

I am thinking about picking up another set or two (of 4 AA batteries), though, for their extra amount of charge capacity.

3. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

On a similar topic, does anyone trust automatic rechargers? Back in the day a few blew up some batteries by overcharging, so since then I just use manual chargers, figure out correct hours and charge them when they are dead. Are there are foolproof automatic mechanism around now and how to they exactly work?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The little bitty Maha charger I got years ago was advertised as being able to monitor battery charge, and would go into either full charge mode when needed (or when you pressed the button for it), or went into low trickle mode to maintain the battery charge for each bank of 2 AA batteries. But in practice, once the battery charge light went from red to green, I just unplugged the charger (just in case...)

I got mine from these folks.

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Mike, is it possible you put non rechargeable alkaline in the charger instead?[​IMG]

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

7. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

9. Jay Heyl

Nope, it's not a typo. Look under "Batteries+Charger Combo". It's the first combo on the page -- at least it is for me.

I've purchased from these guy several times and have never been disappointed.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ah...there is it. Any idea how long it takes to fully charge up 4 AA batteries with that little charger? (Time is money, afterall).

11. Jay Heyl

Most (all?) of the battery chargers sold by Battery Space are made by Vanson. Going from the picture, it looks like that is the Vanson V-888N, which Vanson claims will charge NiMH batteries in 10-14 hours, though I would expect the newer 2000+mAh batteries to take longer. At $5.99 for the charger and four batteries, this is definitely NOT a sophisticated charger. At that price, it wouldn't surprise me if the thing didn't even shut off automatically. (At the rate it's charging, the lack of auto shutoff wouldn't be that big a deal. NiMH batteries can usually be charged at one-tenth their capacity (160mA for a 1600mAh battery) for more than a year without showing any damage to the battery.)

If you want a fancy charger, Thomas Distributing is the place to go. If you want cheap but effective, Battery Space is a good place.

I concluded it made more sense to go cheap on the charger and buy more batteries. Spend $6 for the charger+batteries and buy another two dozen AAs for $24. You're still $9 below what it would cost for the hottest new charger from Thomas (MaHa MH-C401FS) and you've got 28 high capacity batteries. Charge up a set of 4 batteries every day and you'll always have fresh batteries available.