Question about Receiver wattage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I was just wondering about something. I'm thinking of getting a new reciever soon. The one I have now is a Kenwood 208 with 50Wx5 with Dobly Digital. There is a possibility that it was the first receiver ever with Dolby Digital. Anyway, I also just bought a new pair of Mini Monitors are I use them as my main speakers. If I upgrade to a new receiver such as the Onkyo 595, which has 75Wx5, would it provide better sound than from a new Kenwood receiver that has 100Wx5? I know my Mini's will sound much better if they are provided more power, but how much is enough?

Thanks for replies

2. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

Paul thats not an easy question to answer. What kind of music do you listen to? What volume level do you prefer? Are the speakers going to be ran full range or with a subwoofer. what is your source material coming from(cd, dvd, dvd audio, super audio cd)? I would look for a receiver that has clean power and good power reserves. Pay less attention to the watts per channel numbers. A receiver with a low wpc figure with some good features like I mentioned can out perform another receiver with a much higher wpc value. I know this probably didn't help any. Only added to the confusion. Go listen to a few and see what you think.

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Ah, wattage, marketings greatest tool. You never get a true sense of under what conditions those numbers were determined. Other things to look at:

are the wpc determined across a frequency range (usually never) or a one frequency (I believe it's usually 1KHz). Also was that at 4 ohms or 6 ohms or 8ohms. A department store receiver that lists 100W at 8 ohms probably drops off signifcantly at 6 or 4 ohms. Remeber that your speakers are giant variable resistors. Paring really effecient speakers up with a lower quality receiver can allevaite some issues of heat, distortion, quality etc...

Like Charles said, a receiver that gives clean power is more suitable. There is a link that talks about the numbers game, but damn if I can remember it. Try using the search tool on the HTF. Good luck.

4. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

onkyo watts x2 = kenwood watts

probably not that bad, but you get the idea

i dont know about all kenwood receivers, but the stats for mine (vr-407) are 100x5 as well, but only one channel driven, .7% THD. and it says "effective power rating" not FTC . only stereo mode is true 100x2.

onkyo lists at all channels driven simultaneously RMS .08% (or so) THD, and on top of that, its probably better current... so the power will increase almost linearly with drop in impendance.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the only time i "trust" a wattage rating spec is when it's properly given out. it'll look something like:
    105 watts x5 channels into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with 0.05%thd
    that usually gives us a pretty accurate measurement. watts per channel, into how many channels, into what speaker load, across what frequency response, with what thd (total harmonic distortion).
    for example, it's really easy for a company to say their receiver can go to 100 watts. yeah...that may be true, but at what frequency range? can it handle putting out a 100 watts in the extreme highs & lows? probably not. is the sound at 100watts clean? possibly?
    you get the picture...
    i believe most of the major manufacturers are pretty accurate with their wattage ratings, but i wouldn't make that my over-riding decision factor. i'd take a 75w onkyo over a 100w kenwood anyday...

6. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>105 watts x5 channels into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with 0.05%thd<

Ted,

may I add that we ought to be looking at how many channels are being driven during the test (i.e. w/all channels driven). It should be noted that the specs for most of the equipment talked about in this forum generally are derived from a 1kHz tone, w/2 (sometimes only 1) channel being driven.

Marty

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good point marty! thanks for the heads-up... [​IMG]