What's new

Question about receiver eq'ing??? 1014 (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
I have a pioneer 1014 and have a question about the auto EQ. Maybe you guys can help me out.

(Q#1) I noticed that you can change the auto eq settings to all channels, front align or custom. What is the dif. Mainly between front align and all channels. Im currently using all channels..

(Q#2) Also has anyone tried out the Bi-amping feature on the 1014?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your question #1 as I understand it, is that you can set your fronts at reference then calibrate to them. Usefull if your using an external amp for your mains.

Question #2, I wanted to try it, but I could not assertain where / how / why it was doing it's crossover from low driver to high driver. I mean, I couldn't set a crossover point it didn't seem anyways, so I didn't do it.

RyanJE

Second Unit
DO you have the 1014? In the manual setup, auto eq section it lets you set your eq to all channels eq(- sub) front align, or custom. Im not sure what those do.

Also I was thinking about calling pioneer about the bi-amp issue because it is very vague in their manual. If I find out anything useful id be happy to fill you in if you own the 1014.

RyanJE

Second Unit
OK I found this on Pioneers website

Dont know why I missed that before. Im on the line with pioneer right now finding out about BI-AMP.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ask them where it crosses from low to high.... It does nto seem like something that can be set, yet is fixed.

This particular thing about bi-amping has nothing to do with the EQ.

PS: I played with a 1014 for about a week then sent it back. I needed real power amp inputs and it doesn't have them. Only Multi-channel inputs.

RyanJE

Second Unit

Right these are 2 dif questions for 1014 users.

I talked to the guy at Pioneer for about 30 mins and he had no idea what he was talking about. Eventually he went and hooked some speakers up Bi-amp to the 1014 himself to try it. He then came back and said that the speaker would still be running off of its internal cross-over. IM not sure how credible this answer is though. Any thoughts?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer guy is correct from my understanding.

When you're bi-amping, whatever is in the front L/R channels gets duplicated on the surround rear L/R channels. If you have the front channel set to LARGE, then the whole frequency range is sent to both sets of speakers terminals, the main L/R and the surround rear L/R. If you have your front set to SMALL and a xover of, say, 50Hz, then 50-20,000Hz is sent to both sets of speaker terminals the main L/R and the surrournd rear L/R.

To use bi-amping, your speakers have to be bi-wirable. That means they have two sets of terminals on the back, and probably came with a metal "jumper" connecting the two. The jumper is used when you're only connecting ONE set of speaker wires to the speaker, and what it does is split it out to both sets of terminals. Inside the speaker is a crossover network that routes the signals from the two sets of terminals to the appropriate drivers. So from one set it will route to the bass driver(s) and throw-away (via low-pass filter) the rest of the frequencies; from the other set it will route the mid/trebble frequencies to the tweater(s)/mid-bass-driver(s) and throw-away (via high-pass filter) the rest of the frequencies.

When using bi-amping, you remove the jumper from the terminals on the speaker, then run the front L/R from the receiver to one set of speaker terminals, and the surround rear L/R to the other set of speaker terminals. This is different from bi-wiring, where you run TWO sets of speaker wires from the main L/R speaker terminals (one via banana plug and the other stuck into the terminal directly) out to the two terminals on your speaker (again with the jumper removed).

Hopefully this helps clear it up a bit.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Thanks Scott,
I understand Bi-amping and Bi-wiring fairly well My speakers are Bi amp able. I just wasnt sure if I did this if it would use my speakers x-over or if I should have to set one. Im thinking about giving it a go this weekend. Do you think Bi-amping provides any significant benefit?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Well, to be honest, I've never tried it, and my speakers aren't bi-wirable, I'm just going on what I remember reading (out of curiousity) in the manual and from reading in other posts. I'm fairly certain the speakers do the x-over'ing in this type of setup. Why don't you give it a shot and let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks