Question about R3 IVL Miyazaki titles...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Aug 31, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the 2-disc Studio Ghibli Miyazaki titles from R3 (Japan) feature English subs or voice-over options for the supplemental features?

Are the transfers and overall quality and production of these sets better than Disney's 2-disc releases?

I would really like to know if I decide to import these sets, whether I'll be able to watch and enjoy the extras as well..

Thanks.

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Are you talking about the R2 Japanese or R3 Hong Kong discs? The former, I don't know, but the latter only has the original Japanese language track and a Chinese track with no English dubs.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Julian, I'm talking about the R3 IVL 2-disc sets. The same ones that come in the limited edition Ghibli box..

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Btw, I don't care much about "dubs".. I'm more interested if the films contain English subtitles including the extra features (documentaries, interviews, etc).

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

For example:

[​IMG]

VERSUS

[​IMG]

Which would you guys recommend?

I would like to know which has superior picture quality, sound and whether all of the extras are the same on both versions?

Are any supplemental features missing from either the R3 or R1 version, are any exclusive to one of these sets?

Also, which would you recommend in terms of overall packaging: menu screens, navigation, art, etc.

Finally, I have never heard the English dubs of any of the Miyazaki films because I generally chose to watch foreign movies with their original audio tracks, however I've heard very good things about the English voice-overs to these movies. Is it worth giving a listen and which audio options do you all personally prefer with the films, original Japanese audio tracks or the English dubs?

I would REALLY appreciate it if you guys could answer all of these questions and offer your opinions/advice here!

Thanks so much!

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Guys, I ordered the R3 Limited Edition Box Set last night because I was concerned it would sell-out quickly but Play-Asia hasn't shipped my order yet. I'd really like to know if I'd be better off cancelling and purchasing the Disney sets instead. It cost me A LOT of money! Please let me know what you think... sooner than later if possible.

Thanks.

7. Julian Lalor

The R3 Limited Edition box set does not contain English dubs of the films, but do contain English subtitles. The extras (at least on the IVL 2-disc DVDs of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service) don't contain English subtitles, but in both cases the main extras are storyboard versions of the movies.

Description of the Set

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Julian, the main extras for all regions is just storyboard sequences? Would you reccommend the R3 over R1 in terms of quality and overall package?

9. Julian Lalor

I prefer the R1 DVDs, but there's little in it, frankly. Also, I don't think all of these titles have been released in R1 as yet.

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Any reasons as to why you prefer the R1 and what do you mean by, "there's little in it"?

Thanks for all the help btw. I'm just trying to determine whether or not I made a mistake in ordering the R3 boxset and what the absolute definitive versions of these films to own would be, in terms of audio/video quality and extras.

Thanks Julian.

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Nobody can offer a comparisson between the Disney and IVL releases?

[​IMG]

12. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I have all the Japanese region 2 Miyazaki DVDS and they are suberb in every way.

13. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The Region 2 Miyazaki DVD's are all very nice. The Japanese CASTLE IN THE SKY and KIKI look much better and a little better (respectively) than the Region 1 releases, PRINCESS MONONOKE has a slightly cooler colour scheme and is a tad sharper, whilst the titles that aren't out in Region 1 yet - PORCO ROSSO, WHISPER OF THE HEART and so on - all look great.

The Region 2 TOTORO and KIKI are dubtitled however, rather than accurately subtitled. The Region 1 KIKI has a somewhat inferior transfer but more accurate subs. Unfortunately, the Region 1 KIKI is nominally defective as there are some sound synch issues with the new 5.1 remix that aren't present on any other version. (HTF first spotted this in a thread last year. For example, you can see it on the Region 1 disc when Kiki smacks her broom before flying off at the beginning of the movie). The only DVD edition of KIKI that matches the slightly superior Region 2 transfer of the movie to the accurate Region 1 subtitling is the Taiwanese edition, and try finding that online. (One Taiwanese etailer stocks it, but I can't read the language enough to navigate the site). Many people aren't bothered with the subs on the current Region 2 KIKI though.

TOTORO might be worth buying in next year's likely Region 1 re-release if it rectifies the subtitle issue, but beyond that you should be very happy with the box. Pretty much all the movies look and sound great - these are all excellent 16x9 transfers from great looking prints. NAUSICAA also benefits a wonderfully restored picture superior to all the previous versions.

I can't remember if this new box edition has the faint red tint issue on SPIRITED AWAY that affected the original Region 2 release. If it bothers you (and outside of web comparisons it doesn't seem to bother some people at all) I think the Region 1 version is fine. As far as extras go, the Region 1 disc of SPIRITED AWAY is also worthwhile for the subtitled Ghibli doco (with great candid footage of Miyazaki cooking for the staff and hard at work) that I think isn't to be found on the imported box. Basically, the bottom line is that 90% or more of the discs in the box are great movies with faultless transfers. I prefer watching them in Japanese with subs, and even prefer the Region 2 packaging to the Region 1 editions. There's a site that has more comparisons at

http://www.btinternet.com/~lawrencium2/ghibli.html