What's new

Question about putting interconnects in the path vs home runs (1 Viewer)

EricTut

Grip
Hi all-

Rewiring my system to make ready for a Tivo shortly.

I just ran 2 coax runs that will be home runs from the dish (actually, dish - multi switch - ~60' run) and I was thinking about terminating those 2 runs into a wall plate, then having some jumpers go from there to my Tivo. Is making... I guess that would be 2 splices into the cable. I plan on having the wall plate have the BNC connectors mounted in, so the coax screws on directly to that.

Why I am going to this length- since this requires a phone jack, which is already there, I was going to pick up one of those modular wall plates from radio shack, put the phone and 2 BNCs on one side, and put some plugs on the other side for the rear speakers- 3 left, so right, left, center. Currently dont have a center though.

My question there- is it bad to chop the speaker wire and put in a plug? I have bananas in my Onkyo amp, and by this design, it would go like so - about 6 foot of cable, banana to whatever the wall jack is (I think they only have RCA) then the wire runs under the floorboards, back up through the other side in the wall, up to my shelves holding my rear speakers. If I really want to go nuts, I could put interconnects up there too, instead of bare wire.

Thoughts on any of this are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Eric

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Eric,

The first thing I have to wonder is “Why BNC” since virtually no home equipment supports it. It seems especially pointless for a RF feed from a satellite dish. I guess you know it’ll require a special cable from the wall to the TIVO, with a BNC on one end and F-connector on the other? Why?

Regarding the speaker runs, it’s no problem to break them up with connection points if you need to. However, I prefer straight-through runs whenever possible, just for the sake of less points of potential problem (each termination panel adds four additional connection points for each speaker).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EricTut

Grip
Er... not BNC. F connector- standard cable ends. I am a PC guy, so I wa thinking of the old school cable connectors back in the day when ethernet went over em. Oops!

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks