What's new

Question about progressive/interlace settings for TV and DVD player (1 Viewer)

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I have a hopefully simple question.
I have a Sony DVP-NS755V DVD player and a Toshiba 51H83 RPTV.
I can adjust the settings on the DVD player to output progressive or interlaced. There are also settings on the TV for progressive and interlaced.
If I want progressive, should I have it on that setting on both the TV and DVD player? Or just one? Also, which one?
Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Usually the TV autoselects interlaced input or progressive input depending on the source material. If not ou should set the TV to match the player. Almost always the picture tube displayes progressive (or 1080i HDTV) all the time with appropriate scaling of the input. Aas far as DVD is concerned progressive from the player and 1080i on the screen involves only a small amount of processing (scaling to 540p) while interlaced from the player and 1080i on the screen involves a large amount of processing (the TV converts it to progressive and then scales to 540p). Sometimes setting the TV to progressive causes it to autoselect the input and always put progressive (or 1080i) on the picture tube, while setting it to interlaced causes it to disallow progressive input and put interlaced on the picture tube (rare).

Try it both ways with the DVD player, setting the TV to progressive first and to interlaced if progressive doesn't work at all.

Usually but not always the picture quality is better setting the DVD player to progressive.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidprog.htm

The most common scaling of 480p to 1080i actually results in 540p but the rest of the TV circuits and the TV picture tube can't tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks