What's new

Question about PreDated Check (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I got a bunch of predated checks from my employer in June. This week I deposited one of the checks in the bank. Today I went to check my balance and discovered that the entire amount of the check I deposited had been withdrawn from my account. I found out that I deposited a check dated June 15th on June 9th....Basically I deposited a check earlier then the date posted on it. This was a total accident on my part. Now that it is June 15th will my Bank redeposit that amoun into my account or should I run in in the morning and talk to them about this??? Did I break any law?? lol I know it sounds silly but im just pretty nervous as I am not used to making mistakes with my banking matters. Any input would be really appreciated!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You didn't do anything wrong, but you will probably have to get a new check from your employer to redeposit on the correct date.

I believe your bank will return the check to you (at least that's what my credit union did when this happened to me once).

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I believe with the new banking laws that were passed recently, there shouldn't have been a problem. The date on the check really shouldn't matter. If it was given to you, legally the writer of the check should have the funds available, and you should be able to deposit it regardless of the date on it. I would suspect a stop payment was put on the check by your employer or their account had insufficient funds available. This all assumes the the same laws apply to payroll checks, which I'm not 100% sure about.

-Dave

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. So do you think I will need a new check? Or can my employer just have the check redeposited. I work for NYC so dealing with their system is quite horrible. And I can't imagine what it will take to get a new check.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks