Question about pre-wiring in new home construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cal S, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Cal S

Cal S Stunt Coordinator

I'm having a home built and the builders offer several pre-wiring options. I've never had surround sound or a satellite system and I was hoping you could give me some advice on whether or not these options and prices sound like good deals. Also if they would save me major future hassles and cash. We definitely will get a satellite system immediately after moving in, suround sound is a maybe.

Pre-wire for Home Theater for $300
    Includes pre-wiring 2 front, 2 rear, 1 subwoofer [email protected] plug height and 1 center channel

DSS Pre-wire - Receiver #1 (in lieu of std TV) for $150
    Includes running dual cable from Southern most location in attic to junction box in garage. Also includes dual cable and phone line from junction box to receiver location.

DSS Pre-wire - Additional Receiver (in lieu of std TV jack) for $80 Includes running an additional single cable and phone line from junction box to receiver location.

DSS Pre-wire - Additional Receiver Location $120
    Includes running dual cable and phone line from junction box to receiver location.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm having a new house built and my builder has a local company which sells a "data cabling" package. The package I'm getting involves much more than you've typed here, but it also is costing me almost $3,000.

Anyway, short answers:

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    First, welcome to the Forum!

All the prices look a little stiff to me. But then I have an installation background and can do all this stuff myself. Plus I know how cheap the materials are and how easy this is accomplished during the construction stage. I expect the wiring will be done by the electrician, so any labor added to the job is minimal (i.e., it’s not like someone would be making a special trip to the job site). Unless the house is abnormally large, it shouldn’t take more than an hour for one experienced technician accomplish either of the first two items.

The price may be largely academic, however. When you’re having a home built usually the only option is to take it or leave it; often the homeowner is not permitted to do this kind of work himself.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I also did the job myself. I have just one tip - If you decide to let the installer do it, agree on the type of wire up front so you won't get any unpleasant surprises when they use 22 guage speaker wire for example.

5. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    It's very hard to find a builder in the Dallas area that will let you do anything to your home while it's being constructed (wiring, painting, etc.), so unfortunately you are at the mercy of the builder. Also, keep in mind that while the builder might not actually be doing the wiring (they sub-contract out to a home theater and/or alarm company) the pricing is determined by the builder. I built a home last year (that I had to back out of, unfortunately) and am currently building another house. These houses were from different builders, but their policies regarding wiring were pretty similar. As for your specific questions, here's how they compare to my current home:

I don't have this option, but every Cat5e outlet run is $63 and every RG6 is $71, so those prices don't seem to out of line.

One thing to remember, is that even though it seems pretty expensive, now is the time to do it. Also make sure that everything is being run to a central location (garage, closet, etc.) for easier access. You may also want to find out if they will run empty pipe. They didn't even advertise this for me, but I asked them about it and they offered it for $35. I'm running an empty tube from my home entertainment center up through the ceiling and to the back wall of my media room. This will allow me to run connections for a front projector as well as speaker wire for a 7.1 set-up (only getting wired for 5.1) if I want to in the future.

Even though the pricing is determined by the builder, you might also ask the company that's doing the installation if they can give you any discount. In both my situations, I was set to spend about $2500 in extra wiring and both installers told me that they would run some extra wiring for me that they wouldn't actually list with the builder (first one ran 7.1 instead of 5.1 and second one is wiring an extra room for speakers from the main stereo). It never hurts to ask.

Stew

6. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    A buddy of mine just had a house built in Fort Worth. He waited until the insulation was up and then snuck into the house and wired it (low voltage) himself. Rockers came in the next day and nobody was the wiser. Its not that I condone such an idea, I just thought it was humorous.

7. Marianne55

Marianne55 Auditioning

Hello,

While it’s certainly no complicated feat to add a pre-wired electric car charging circuit into a home (what, 240V/80A as recommended by SAE?), it does mark a major shift in the marketing strategies of homebuilders throughout this country. As we enter what is sure to be period of time we will all look back at as the most important evolution of personal mobility since the invention of the automobile, people who are planning ahead will be smart to include such circuits in their homes from the beginning

Thanks

Fireplace Render

8. Laurie55

Laurie55 Auditioning

http://curtains I am buying a house that has "plasma pre wiring" done, along with surround speakers prewired also. From what the builder told me,

Thanks________________