Question about Pre/Pro Output Level

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Yung, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

For those in the know, please help me understand this difference. I was just browsing the net and I decided to check out the specs for Mondial's Aragon Stage One pre/pro and I saw that the maximum output number is 7V rms. And a while ago I noticed that the Outlaw 950's spec had shown its rated output only at 1V. Now I know that the two numbers are obviously different becuase Aragon's number is maximum and Outlaw's is rated but why the difference? Would having a lower output make it harder to drive an amp? And would having a lower output help reduce the S/N ratio? And why would Aragon give such an unusual number when others seems to fall in line more with what the Outlaw have? For example, the Rotel RSP-1066 output number is listed at 1.2V. So what's the deal???

2. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

Rated output level is that at which specs like distortion, S/N, frequency response are met. The max. output level tells you how much headroom the output has.

Power amps usually have enough sensitivity to work with just about any preamp. If in doubt, check the input sensitivity spec or the gain spec of the power amp. Having a higher max. output level insures that the output will be low-distortion at the normal 1V-2V output levels required to drive the power amp to its maximum power output. It is also nice if that max. output voltage holds up to 20KHz, since that will give you a good idea about the slew-rate of the preamp. If your power amp has excellent headroom, then you would need the higher preamp output to be able to make use of that headroom (dynamically, not continuously of course). Outlaw or Rotel may also have an equally high max. output voltage, but they may not disclose it.

Aragon would also give a rated output where S/N is spec'd at. If the noise is mainly due to the input stage of a preamp, which is true in general, then spec'ing S/N at a higher rated output voltage will not result in a better S/N ratio, because the noise is also amplified more.