Question about pre-outs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

If I use external amplification via pre outs, will the amps on the receiver stop operating or will they still power the speakers connected to them. Could I thus have double the number of surround speakers (assuming I purchased more speakers)?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The Amps would NOT stop working and YES, theoretically you could have additional Surround speakers this way. A lot of people who use an external amp and then use their old receiver as a pre-amp power the surround speakers with the amplification in their reciever. Some power the center speaker this way. You can really get creative.

3. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

Len,

Your Amps will continue working. My Yamaha 3090 internal amps still drive my surrounds and center. The NAD Amps are driving my Martin Logans

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Yahoo, I can't wait to get creative!! Multiple surrounds, here I come... Evan, I like your quote on the bottom. It's like saying, be happy NOW since you never know what will happen tomorrow.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Len,

Your question was a little vague. Do you mean you want to use the receiver’s ]I]rear[/i] pre-outs for an external amp and still use the rear speakers already connected to the receiver at the same time?

Or are you asking if using the front pre-outs will affect the rear speakers?

If it is the latter, then William’s response is accurate. It will not affect the speakers still using the receiver’s internal amplification.

However, if the former is what you’re asking, the answer is “it depends on your receiver.” Some will let you do this, some won’t. On receivers with only pre-outs, many of them automatically disable the internal amplifier once you plug a connector into the jack. Thus any speakers connected to that channel would be dead in the water, as it were. You can easily test this by plugging a cable into the pre-out channel(s) in question. If the rear speaker(s) keeps working, you’re in business.

If your receiver has pre-out and main-in connections for all channels, your bases would be covered either way. You could use a ”y” splitter to feed both the external and internal amps.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Im just wondering if you use your pre outs will it affect your surround processing,or will the signal be altered at the connected amp in any form,by this I mean if your useing a DSP mode or something similar will it alter the way your differnt surround modes are played back or will it stay the same as it would through the recevers own amp.
    The reason I ask is I have thought about bi-amping my system and useing my recever to drive my tweeters,and a seperate amp to run my drivers. Also if this was done would it cause any kind of time delay between the tweeters and drivers?
    Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

7. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Wayne, it was the former that I was interested in. I was thinking of using the extra surrounds to create a dipole effect on either side of my listening area. I don't want to buy new dipole speakers but can purchase 2 extra speakers. So the first set of surrounds would be facing back and the 2nd surround pair would face the opposite way. I may add another surround back since I only have 1 speaker there now.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Joe.

First, welcome to the Forum!

The receiver’s pre-outputs carry the same signal that goes to the amplifiers, so using them won’t affect any processing done by the receiver.

So there won’t be a delay problem if you bi-amp your speakers, but to do this your receiver will have to have main-in jacks for the internal amplifiers. Some receivers don’t have this capability.

Len,

Depending on which outboard amp and speakers you use, you might be able to safely drive all four, providing there are no level issues.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt