1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Polk Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I was just wondering what you guys thought about Polk Audio. I know they are regared fairly well, but was wondering how well. I have never heard them and am auditioning some speakers in my home next weekend and wondered if I should include them. The speakers I am auditioning are the NHT SB-2, the Paradigm MiniMonitors and the PSB Image 1-b. Are the Polk Audio RT35i speakers in the same category as the above speakers? Thanks for any input!

Nick L

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have Polk RT-35i's and love the sound. I'm giving them to my daughter, but only because I wanted something else (the upgrade bug). I find the Polks to have a great soundstage and to be very non-fatiguing. I think I saw an ad for them at Good Guys or something for around $180/pair this last week, but this is from memory. I'd look for the ad, but the recycling truck cometh and wenteth.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I really like Polk Audio. I have a low end Polk setup. My mains in my HT are Polk's smallest towers (r40). My surrounds are Polk's smallest bookshelf (r10). And my center is a midrange cs245i.

I have a denon avr-681, functionally equivalent to the 1601, and use a samsung dvd as transport. It sounds wonderful, and all who have heard it agree. That is only like 10 people, but 2 of them are quite picky.

I think that Polk audio are worth an audition.

Make sure you demo lots on everything and take your time choosing. You don't want to get stuck with something you don't like.

BTW, The older PSB Alpha A/V are really nice sounding bookshelf speakers that can be had fairly cheap online. Maybe you should give them a listen somewhere, if you can.

Good luck,

Jon

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I love my polks... they are great speakers.. some will say they are overpriced... I'm still trying to figure that one out... anyway...best thing is to go and listen to them.. and listen to others as well.. use same material and... try to keep the amps close for a better comparison...

I'm a definate polk user and will remain as such- are there better speakers out there..yes...for thier price.. i dont believe so..anyway.. good hunting and listening

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have a low-end Polk system (R10 mains, R10 surrounds, CS175i center, PSW350 sub), and I couldn't be happier with it. My room is not that big, so this setup really does a great job filling the room with sound. Their tech support also kicks much ass! I had a problem with my CS175i, and they ended up sending me a new driver, tweeter and crossover assembly by 2-day UPS to fix it. Since then, no problems.

7. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

I've had my Polk system with Rt55i Mains, CS400i Center, f/x500i's for surrounds and a Velodyne VA-1250x sub for almost a year now. LOVE the sound. They image well and present a deep soundstage. I also want to give a thumbs up to their tech support. I had to call and ask a question, and I was assisted by a very friendly and knowledgeable person.

I would definitely include the Polks in your audition.

8. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Sorry to be the first negative here.

I bought a Polk System a few years ago. I quickly returned them. I found them to be on the bassy side, and found the mids and highs to be muddled with bass. For music this might be what your looking for, but for Home Theater, you want clean mids and highs..... To much bass on the upper end will take away from the experience..... IMHO

Listen to the Paradigm Monitor line, and see if you can hear a difference in the upper range.....

9. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I just did a big audition of several lines of bookshelf speakers(Including the Paradigm Monitors) & I picked the RT35i speakers. To me they sounded just as good-if not better-than any of the other makes & models I auditioned & I got them for $139 a piece.

10. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Thanks for all the information. I think I'll include the RT35i's in my audition, if my local Ultimate Electronics will let me take them home. Hopefully they can hold their own against the NHT's and the Paradigm's.

Nick L

11. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I have loved my 12 year old polk RTA11tl. But alas, i'm tired of the sound and want something else. Even being a good sized tower they simply cannont handle much power without compressing the drivers. Just bought a CS400i center channel and am really disappointed. What do I think about polk speakers?

Good speakers, good price, lots of others manufacturers out there in that price range. Let your ears decide.

edit - forgot to add that Polk's customer support is excellent

12. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

John,
    If you are really sick of your Polk Audio Rt11's and decide to replace them in the future please e-mail me and maybe we can work something out. I have had a pair of these speakers since the mid eighties as well. I have been looking for another pair for multi channel audio use. I am currently using polk fx500i's for my surround speakers which sound great for movies but leave a lot to be desired listening to multi channel music.
    Thanks, Greg Johnson
    gregj60@charter.net

13. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

My setup includes a CS400i for the center channel Pair of RT2000i's for the front and a pair of RT35i's for the rear surrrounds. I love this setup. My next purchase will have to be a SVS sub.

14. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

hi john on your cs-400i polk i had the same probem because they lay on horizontal try seting them vertgal thats what i did the sound got a lot better and cleaner put the left side up, just thank about it dose your main speaker lay on its side see what i mean thank you, joe. ps i got all polks there the best for the money. only got 2 take 5 energys for effects