Question about "Play All" features

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Stieg, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed the "play all" option always seems to be a separate title. For example, the new Frasier set includes seven episodes on the first disc, titles 1 through 7. The "play all" feature includes all seven episodes under title 8. Does that mean each episode is on there twice? If so, that's 5 hours of material on one disc. Doesn't that result in over-compression?

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I don't think so. Someone can explain this better than me, but think of it like branching. I know the T2 Ultimate Edition has all three cuts on three different titles but each scene is encoded only once. It's probably some kind of program that plays all the episodes one after another.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The only time I can think of discs having episodes encoded twice is the f'd up first release of Smallville Season 1. The video quality was horrible on those sets, due to the compression.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm such a geek that I've checked some discs using a top-loading Koss player rigged so I can play the disc with the cover open and see exactly where the laser is and verify that it plays the same part of the disc.

5. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

you're right...you are a geek[​IMG]

6. Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann Second Unit

That didn't happen.

It was just (like in the first post of this thread) someone misinterpreting the directory of the DVDs.

There's nothing wrong with the first season of Smallville - the picture quality isn't great but that's not due to the compression.

Do a search for the old thread - that rumour was cleared up long ago.

7. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the answers guys!

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I thought there were two versions of the first season. One with the problem, followed up by a fixed version.

I guess I could be wrong, but that's what I was told.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep- every title framework can call any piece of video from the disc: so you could have one 4 minute clip on the disc one time, and ref that file in 50 different title frameworks.

So, like you said, even though it is title 8, it is the same video as ref in the invidual titles.