Question about Pioneer LD-V8000 player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Leo Kerr, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    I may have a chance to pick up one (or more) Pioneer LD-V8000 laserdisc player. For those who aren't familiar, this is the crown of their Industrial player line, including CLV still capabilities, and being able to output both the analog audio and the digital audio tracks at the same time (four outputs.)

The big question I have is, while it's a great player (at least for CAV discs - the one time I tried in the past it was slow to acquire a CLV disc,) it has two notable lacks:

1. PCM output
    2. AC-3 RF output.

Now, on the other hand, it does have a mysterious "EFM" (or is it EMF?) output on the back that was designed to interface with a SCSI adapter (8MHz RF to SCSI anyone?)

Anyone know if this can be made to work with either PCM or AC-3(rf) without too much trouble? Or, barring that, if anyone is still marketing an add-on board for either of those options?

Leo Kerr
  2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Feb 18, 2004
    Is that "EFM" or is it "AFM"? If it's EFM, that is Eight-to-Fourteen Modulation, a raw dump of the Redbook digital-audio data stream which you could presumably get an adaptor for. AFM would be Analog Frequency Modulation, or the raw Channel-1 and Channel-2 audio carrier waves, which is what you would dump into an AC-3 demodulator. In any case, a raw AFM output is a very simple thing to add, and a S/P-DIF coax digital output would not be much worse. It's basically just a question of tapping the audio board and hooking up a line driver -- in fact you might be able to use a spare logic gate somewhere in the unit for this purpose.
    This is a great unit, though. As I understand it, the slow spinup time with a CLV disc is due to its habit of completely "mapping" the disc and storing the physical locations of all the time codes and chapter marks in memory, which gives it the shortest seek time of any LD player. It does the same for CAV, which does not take nearly as long since there is no need to change the disc speed in order to read the codes.