What's new

Question About Pioneer Elite 730HD (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about the Pioneer Elite 730HD. I'm having my Pioneer Elite 710HD replaced with a Pioneer Elite 730HD. I wanted to make sure the Pioneer Elite 730HD has 2 DVI inputs. The company that is replacing it won't replace it for the Pioneer Elite 730HDI that has a HDMI input.

I want to upgrade to Pioneer Elite's new DVD player that upconverts DVDs to 1080i. On the back of the player to upconvert it you to have to use a HDMI cable but I know there are HDMI to DVI cables available. That's why I want to make sure the 730HD has 2 DVI connections since it doesn't have the HDMI connection. I want to use one of the DVI inputs for the new DVD player & the other for high definition cable.

Also will I lose anything in picture quality using a HDMI to DVI cable?

Thanks for your replies.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about the Pioneer Elite 730HD. I'm having my Pioneer Elite 710HD replaced with a Pioneer Elite 730HD. I wanted to make sure the Pioneer Elite 730HD has 2 DVI inputs. The company that is replacing it won't replace it for the Pioneer Elite 730HDI that has a HDMI input.

I want to upgrade to Pioneer Elite's new DVD player that upconverts DVDs to 1080i. On the back of the player to upconvert it you to have to use a HDMI cable but I know there are HDMI to DVI cables available. That's why I want to make sure the 730HD has 2 DVI connections since it doesn't have the HDMI connection. I want to use one of the DVI inputs for the new DVD player & the other for high definition cable.

Also will I lose anything in picture quality using a HDMI to DVI cable?

Thanks for your replies.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The 730HD does have Two DVI inputs. When using these, the set default to "Pure Digital" and in this mode you cannot change color, contrast, etc. Pure digital can be turned off allowing you to use the picture controls. The set will also lock into full mode with a 1080i signal.

I have a 530 and recently bought a Zenith 318 that upconverts to 1080i and I don't see much improvment over native 480p. Also be aware that the x30 series Elites will can also upconvert 480i or 480p sources to 1080i. I prefer my Panasonic RP91 using 480i out and allowing the TV to upconvert to 1080i over the Zenith 318 doing it. The line doubler in the Elite is very good.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The 730HD does have Two DVI inputs. When using these, the set default to "Pure Digital" and in this mode you cannot change color, contrast, etc. Pure digital can be turned off allowing you to use the picture controls. The set will also lock into full mode with a 1080i signal.

I have a 530 and recently bought a Zenith 318 that upconverts to 1080i and I don't see much improvment over native 480p. Also be aware that the x30 series Elites will can also upconvert 480i or 480p sources to 1080i. I prefer my Panasonic RP91 using 480i out and allowing the TV to upconvert to 1080i over the Zenith 318 doing it. The line doubler in the Elite is very good.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg if you turn pure digital off to be able to change color, contrast, etc do you lose any picture quality or do you get as good a 1080i picture as when it is on?

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg if you turn pure digital off to be able to change color, contrast, etc do you lose any picture quality or do you get as good a 1080i picture as when it is on?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Pure digital is supposed to faithfully reproduce the signal without any processing. In reality, it really depends on the player your using. I found that with the Zenith, some adjusting of contrast, etc. was needed, so I switched off pure digital. You'll have to test it out for yourself to see your impressions of it.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Pure digital is supposed to faithfully reproduce the signal without any processing. In reality, it really depends on the player your using. I found that with the Zenith, some adjusting of contrast, etc. was needed, so I switched off pure digital. You'll have to test it out for yourself to see your impressions of it.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
So you can still use the DVI input without having pure digital on. I just want to make sure that I can use the DVI input & adjust my T.V. I know I'll have to adjust the contrast & brightness to get the best picture. If I can't adjust the set & use the DVI input it makes it pointless to get the new DVD player & use the upscaling.

I'm just sorta confused on if you can turn the pure digital on & off & still use the DVI input. And if the 1080i picture will be as good if you can turn the pure digital off & still use the DVI input.

If not I may pay the extra money & get the 730HDI so I get the HDMI input. Do you know if you can use the T.V. controls using the HDMI input on a 730HDI?

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
So you can still use the DVI input without having pure digital on. I just want to make sure that I can use the DVI input & adjust my T.V. I know I'll have to adjust the contrast & brightness to get the best picture. If I can't adjust the set & use the DVI input it makes it pointless to get the new DVD player & use the upscaling.

I'm just sorta confused on if you can turn the pure digital on & off & still use the DVI input. And if the 1080i picture will be as good if you can turn the pure digital off & still use the DVI input.

If not I may pay the extra money & get the 730HDI so I get the HDMI input. Do you know if you can use the T.V. controls using the HDMI input on a 730HDI?

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Pure digital setting only works with the DVI inputs, and you can use them with Pure digital either on or off. All it really does is allows you to tweak settings such as contrast, color, etc with it off. For many dvd players, you will need to tweak them to work with the TV, so pure digital isn't a big deal. If you are happy with the DVD player you hook up to it right out of the box, leave pure digital on. If you think it doesn't look right and you need to tweak settings, turn it off. Pure digital mode is not a big deal at all and I myself don't like it on because you cannot adjust the picture controls with it on. The pure digital setting does nothing special to the video, only keeps you from adjusting things.

The only thing the the HDI models give you is HDMI inputs instead of DVI. The pure digital works the exact same as with the regular DVI models. You also get an ISF calibration mode in the service menu to assist with an ISF calibration, but I have heard ISF calibrationists say that it is essentially worthless. Any worthwhile calibrator wouldn't use that mode anyway. I would only get the HDI model if this cost is within a couple hundred bucks. The changes in the HDI model are unnecessary in my opinion. It is completely the same as the DVI models as far as internal components such as line doubler, zoom modes, comb filter, etc.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Pure digital setting only works with the DVI inputs, and you can use them with Pure digital either on or off. All it really does is allows you to tweak settings such as contrast, color, etc with it off. For many dvd players, you will need to tweak them to work with the TV, so pure digital isn't a big deal. If you are happy with the DVD player you hook up to it right out of the box, leave pure digital on. If you think it doesn't look right and you need to tweak settings, turn it off. Pure digital mode is not a big deal at all and I myself don't like it on because you cannot adjust the picture controls with it on. The pure digital setting does nothing special to the video, only keeps you from adjusting things.

The only thing the the HDI models give you is HDMI inputs instead of DVI. The pure digital works the exact same as with the regular DVI models. You also get an ISF calibration mode in the service menu to assist with an ISF calibration, but I have heard ISF calibrationists say that it is essentially worthless. Any worthwhile calibrator wouldn't use that mode anyway. I would only get the HDI model if this cost is within a couple hundred bucks. The changes in the HDI model are unnecessary in my opinion. It is completely the same as the DVI models as far as internal components such as line doubler, zoom modes, comb filter, etc.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg it would cost me quite a bit more to get the 730HDI model. The only difference would be the HDMI input. It would be more convenient to have one with a HDMI input since that is what the DVD player uses to upscale.

If I go with Pioneer Elite's new DVD player with the upscaling to 1080i I just wanted to make sure if I use the HDMI to DVI cord that I wouldn't lose any picture quality. I want the best picture possible. Do you know if it would lose any picture quality using the HDMI to DVI cord?

Thanks for the input on the pure digital. It makes me feel better knowing I'll have control of adjusting the set throught the DVI connection. If I wouldn't I'd go with the HDI model.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg it would cost me quite a bit more to get the 730HDI model. The only difference would be the HDMI input. It would be more convenient to have one with a HDMI input since that is what the DVD player uses to upscale.

If I go with Pioneer Elite's new DVD player with the upscaling to 1080i I just wanted to make sure if I use the HDMI to DVI cord that I wouldn't lose any picture quality. I want the best picture possible. Do you know if it would lose any picture quality using the HDMI to DVI cord?

Thanks for the input on the pure digital. It makes me feel better knowing I'll have control of adjusting the set throught the DVI connection. If I wouldn't I'd go with the HDI model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks