Question about Pio DV-563A and Avia video calibration

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveW, Mar 11, 2004.

1. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Just wondering when using Avia if I should mess with any of the video adjustments in the menu of the Pioneer DV-563A. Should they be left at default or minimized as much as possible. Or do I use these in the actual calibration.

Thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What adjustments are you talking about? You use the test patterns to set specific settings.

3. SteveW

SteveW Agent

In the set-up menu of the Pioneer there is adjustments for contrast, brightness and chroma. I imagine these would affect the picture when making adjustments with Avia. How should these be set before video calibration?? All the way down, all the way up, or at the default setting.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The point of using test patterns is to set the basic picture adjustments correctly. IT doesn't matter where you start, you should end up in the same place. IF you follow the Avia instructions, you should arrive at the correct settings. Keep in mind that settings interact, so usually you'll have to go back and forth between two adjustments a few times until things are good.

As for turning things down, i beleive it instructs you to turn color saturation all the way down when viewing the sharpness pattern. I do not have a display that uses any kind of sharpening filters, so I don't use that pattern, thus I don't remember why it says that, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

It's also helpful the first time to move the adjusments around and see what they do as you view the pattern, to see things like geometry distortion, blooming, etc, but you don't have to turn everything down first or anything, except perhaps for sharpness, if I recall correctly.

5. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Ok but what I am asking is do I need to use the video adjustments in the DVD players menu as well as the ones on my TV. It would seem pointless to adjust those three settings in both the player and the TV. And if I am calibrating using the video adjustments of the TV, how accurate will they be. I just need to know what I should do with the three setting in the Pioneer's menu in order to get accurate settings using Avia and the TV's video adjustments.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

OOOOOOOooooooohhhh! :b

The light went off in my head!

Being as I don't follow TVs and sources that much (FP and HTPC guy) I just assumed your pioneer was the TV, I didn't read your originial post carefully enough.

And as I am unfamiliar with this, I would probably adjust just the TV and leave the DVD player as it is, because that simplifies things, but I'm not totally sure what you'd want to do on that front. I know w/HTPCs you have to deal with both sometimes, and it gets complicated. So how's that for a non-answer [​IMG]

Unless you have signal problems coming out of the DVD player

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Steve, I would use the tv's settings and leave the Pioneer's in the middle (the default). The only reason I can see using the Pioneer's is if you have multiple sources and your tv only allows one set of settings for all of its inputs. For example, I have a DVD-Recorder and TIVO switched through to the Svideo input on my tv and I have the Pioneer 563A hooked up directly to the tv's component input. I've found that with my Toshiba tv the component input has about 10 percent more color saturation than the Svideo input. So, what I did was calibrated the tv's settings using the Svideo output of both the dvd recorder and the Pioneer 563A. I then tweaked the color setting in the Pioneer 563A to fine tune the component output.

hope this helps,

--tom

8. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Thanks for the input Tom. The only thing I am worried about is if I am getting an accurate calibration with the players setting in the middle. Luckily all of the inputs on my RPTV are adjustable on their own.

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Stever, you'll use the Avia test patterns to do the calibration. Whether or not you adjust the player's or tv's settings won't make a difference from the point of view of setting them to the optimal positions using the test patterns. For example, I used the blue color filter pattern and the color decoder pattern to tweak the color using the Pioneer's settings. I ended up with it looking exactly like it did with the Svideo input and the Pioneer's settings at their defaults. The one thing I did forget to mention is that the Pioneer's settings are really meant for fine tweaking since they don't allow much leeway either way - so your tv's settings are going to give you more control and they may actually give you more finely tuned control. In my case, I determined that the difference between the Svideo and component input color saturation on my Toshiba tv was 4 clicks on the tv's color setting. This equated to 2 notches on the Pioneer's color/chroma setting. So, the tv is giving me more finely tuned control but the test pattern pretty much looks the same either way. Doing what I'm doing now allows me not to have to remember to turn the color setting down 4 notches for component viewing (movies) and then to turn it back up for the rest of my sources. I think this is what Pioneer intended - simply to allow the user the ability to do a little tweak of the picture if necessary or convenient. I'd much rather prefer to have a different set of settings for each input - and that will definitly be a feature I want on my next tv [​IMG]

cheers,

--tom

10. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I have the Pioneer 563. Just looking at the title screen (that says "Pioneer" in red), I could tell that the sharpness needed to be cranked way up. However, my TV doesn't allow separate adjustments for each source, so I plan on just using this player for DVD-A/SACD playback, since I already have a DVD player.

It's too bad that a sharpness adjustment was not included in the player.

11. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Ahhh I see what you are saying Tom. If I had a TV with no individual video settings I would use the TV's adjustments for Avia calibration and then go back and recalibrate using the Pioneers adjustments to tweak DVD pq w/o affecting pq for other sources. Is that correct???

12. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Nathan, that is interesting since I ended up with no difference on my Toshiba tv's sharpness setting when calibrating, with Avia's sharpness pattern, between the Pioneer and the Toshiba dvd player that it replaced.

Steve, that is correct. You can tweak color for just the dvd player and not affect any of the other sources.

cheers,

--tom

13. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Tom,
    Thanks. With that being said, what should I put the settings at on the Pioneer to get the most accurate pq. I use my Avia numbers as a basis to adjust the other input settings. What I basically want is to have my pq be with the DVD player as it would be if there were no video adjustments in the player.

14. Nathan Stohler

Thomas,

When I get around to it, I'll try calibrating with Avia to see what the actual difference is. I just thought the Pioneer logo seemed really blurry, and the setup menus looked atrocious, so I figured major adjustments would be necessary. It would be nice if the adjustment was small, so I could truly use the Pioneer as a universal player and not just for high-res audio. I'll look into it.

Thanks.
    --Nathan

15. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Those of you that have that 563, how do you like it? Does the SACD and DVD-A sound good? I'm normally a Marantz guy, but I can't see dropping the $500 it would take to get a Marantz that would play SACD and DVD-A, plus I just purchased a new Marantz receiver, so my wife would kill me if I tried to get a new Marantz DVD/SACD player. So I've been considering the Pioneer 563 or the Sony DVP-NC685V which seems to be a great deal, but it doesn't play DVD-A.

16. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

For the most part, it is right you should change the settings from the TV if your TV has the ability to have different settings. Of course if it doesn't, you should use the DVD players controls. If you use the prior method, you may still need to change the IRE setting in the DVD player if you have trouble getting the contrast/brightness patterns to work right. If you cannot get that left bar to disapear while still seeing the right bar (white level/black level settings), you may need to switch to the OTHER IRE setting (sometimes called black level--usually 2 choices 0 IRE or something like 7.5 IRE). Also you should turn off any special settings in the DVD player like SVM or skin tone before calibrating. Not all DVD players have all of these extra parameters but a lot do.

17. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Nathan, now that you mention it, while the menus don't look blurry to me per se, they look muted and probably not as sharp as say the Avia menus. I basically calibrate the sharpness setting by turning it all the way down and then ticking it up - when I see the middle vertical lines begin to sharpen yet not suffer from edge enhancement is where I leave the setting For tvs that have SVM sometimes you can't get rid of the edge enhancement around the lines.

Steve, I'd just leave them in the middle (the default) and adjust the tv settings.

cheers,

--tom

18. Nathan Stohler

My only complaint is the fixed 200 Hz crossover for DVD-A playback. It's not a problem if your sub can reach 200 Hz (and if you don't mind sub localization), or if you have full range speakers all around and can circumvent the 563's bass management (by setting all speakers to large).

For $150 though, it's a good deal. I think it sounds great, though I'm still playing around with the settings for DVD-A.

19. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Do you have the same issues with SACD? Actually, dumb question, but is DVD-A also a 5.1 analog signal to the stereo?

20. Nathan Stohler

Yeah, DVD-A is also 5.1 analog. No, I don't have any issues with SACD. The crossover for SACD is 120 Hz, which is still a little high, but at least I'm not losing any of the frequency range.

DVD-A also sounds great, but I just want to adjust it properly. I think I will end up setting all speakers to "small" for SACD and "large" for DVD-A. My sub rolls off at 150 Hz, so I'd rather lose a little bottom-end from my surrounds and center than 150-200 Hz everywhere.